Is everyone who has moved to France come from Dorset or Hampshire ?

Bugsy

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Bugbear"]

No, of course not, but I do seem to have met an unusually high number of expats from those two counties.....

Discuss....................................

[/quote]

Nay laddie, je suis from 'Thorkshire. [:D]Nearly everyone I have met is from Wales. Suppose it depends on what part of France you are at.  Still, we are all English to the French.

Georgina

It reminds me of the well known traditional literary masterpiece:

Be Oi 'Ampshire?
Be Oi Bu**ery.
Oi comes down from Wareham.
Oi knows a gal with calico droo-ers,
And Oi knows 'ow to tear 'em.

It's a verse to the song that has a rather better-known chorus, along the lines of -

Oi wonder where that blackbird be
Oi know where 'e be
'E be up yon worzel tree
An' Oi be after 'e
'E sees Oi and Oi sees 'e
Bless me if Oi don't 'ave 'e
With me gurt big stick Oi'll knock 'im down
Blackbird, Oi'll have thee

Nothing to do with France (and as you can see, I'm from Sussex)

Our lot from Bournemouth.Dorset but managed to escape permanently just over 4 years ago after 13years of back and forth. When we get off the Barfleur in Poole on our rare trips back ,we can't wait to get back on it and return. Bournemouth used to be a premier sea-side resort but each time we return we notice how scruffy everything looks.A very bad road system doesn't help with all the major developements on the same;single lane;through route. Reminds me of a car sticker"Town Planners do it with their eyes shut".

I lived there for most of my life and I can't think of any alterations/improvements to the infrastructure in the last 40-50 years. It's taken the council something like 20 years to make a decision about one building'THe Winter Gardens' They like doing 50 jobs at £100.000 that don't make much improvement rather than one decent job that will.

Perhaps one more reason is the hike in property prices that gave many of us an opportunity to cash in and escape.

Regards.5mins St.Malo.    www.ourinns .org

[quote user="timc17"]Anyone else from the wilds of Norfolk?[/quote]

Hev yor farther got a dicka bor?

(born and bred in Norfolk - but like lots had to leave to earn a living)

Where we lived that wasn't exactly the back of beyond, but must have been the middle of beyond.

There seem to be people from all over GB in France - but my own contacts seem to have more Scots and Somerset types than anything else.

[quote user="Dick Smith"][quote user="Hoddy"]I come from Derbyshire/Staffordshire. My first child was conceived in Dorset though ........ Hoddy[/quote]

That must have been a helluva bus ride...
[/quote]

Did the driver ask if you were going all the way?[:D]

Funnily enough, I mentioned this very point to my wife the other day!  We is both ‘ampshire ‘ogs and have noticed a huge number of Hampshire registered cars in the area this year.  One in particular, a large dark coloured Vauxhall, I often see on my way down the hill to Quillan.

Brian

[quote user="chrisb"][quote user="timc17"]Anyone else from the wilds of Norfolk?[/quote]
Hev yor farther got a dicka bor?

(born and bred in Norfolk - but like lots had to leave to earn a living)

Where we lived that wasn't exactly the back of beyond, but must have been the middle of beyond.

[/quote]

Another Chrisb from Norfolk ...................born near Norwich, left to go to college and to travel, then ended up near Hunstanton when I got married.

Regards

Chris