Petrole or parafin

fulcrum

I don't know how many of you use petrole (parafin) for your heating but if so. Do you buy the cheapest available?

My fire is a Zibro Kamin with a blower and we purchased it nearly five years ago. We initially ran it on the recommended ZK fuel but have run it on the cheapest fuel ever since and it is still going fine. I just wondered if anyone has noticed any real advantage of using the "better" fuels. There just seems to be such a big difference in price.

[quote user="Richard-R"]We use the cheap stuff (around a € a litle) and it is fine. What amazes me is the cost of the top end Petrole heaters, a €1000 for some of them. Our €120 euros one works fine and is now 3 years old.[/quote]

I agree Richard. We bought ours around five years ago and the cheapies weren't available then. Ours cost €320.00 but was money well spent as its only cost us about €180.00 a year for heating fuel and heated the whole living area.

If I had to replace it I would definately go for the €159.00 unit from Briconauts as it looks very similar to the one we have.

Higher quality fuels are those lower in aromatic compounds. They have a

less pronounced odour, produce less soot and the heating value per kilo

is higher. There is some concern that in the use of highly aromatic

fuels in poorly ventilated situations unburned aromatics could present

an increased risk of  certain cancers and respiratory complaints.

But mostly the reason some people pay up is the smell. I only use

parafin in the greenhouse, so that doesn't worry me too much.

the cheaper the fuel the worse it smells :(

I haven't noticed any difference in heat output or fuel economy, but for a room you are in a lot the smelly stuff can give you headaches and nausea.

We paid 76€ for our stove (Deville 2600) 2 years ago and have never regretted it!

When I purchased my Zibro heaters (blower, thermostat, etc.) a couple of years ago, the guy in the shop (Leroy Merlin) explained that it is the burner part that wears out first and it is not cheap to replace (I think he said over 50€ but not completely sure about that). He then went on to explain that the cheaper fuels will wear the burner out quicker than the more expensive fuels (apart from the smells, etc.).

However, when you can get 20L for 16€ in Super U, and as I don't mind the slight smell too much (only really notice it when it starts and stops) seems to me that you would save far more replacing the burner more often and using cheaper fuel - that is assuming what the sales guy said was true (which I have no idea about).

Ian

As I remember, the usual petrole stove in France has a vapourising burner with no moving parts, hence poor ( or less good ) quality petrole may cause it coke up but it cant wear out because there is nothing to wear, unless someone actually thinks the vapour will contains solids which will abrade the nozzles whilst vapourising ( yes I am joking here !!!!).

We've just got a 2.2kw meche type that we use for occasional heating of our living room on the 'shoulders' of winter when we don't think it's worth stoking the woodburner for the central heating.  We tried both expensive and cheap "pump" fuel in it and there was no discernible difference in output (though I appreciate there may be some nominal difference in calorific value).