Wash your hands

I once went into a  covered market where all sorts of cheeses and meats were on display.....I was able to see what was on the market stalls while standing at the urinals situated in the corner of the market and looking over the wall.........flies ..........thousands of them ....it was in  France of course .. 

I must admit that this is one of my Bugbears (sorry Bugbear [:D]). I find in many restaurants the loo facilities are dire. Many times no soap or towels to wash and dry hands and worse knowing that the staff that cook and handle the food use the same facilities.

I have mentioned this before in another thread about the former bar/restaurant at Bergerac airport but I have seen it in many restaurants across the board throughout France. It is also the case in many of the supermarkets [blink].  The worrying thing is if that is the case with the loos and the staff don't or can't wash their hands, what is it like in the kitchens? Someone please tell me that they are aware of some sort of standard or health check.

[quote user="Sprogster"]My single biggest complaint when in France are Boulangeries, where the the same employees that handle unwrapped foodstuff with their bare hands then take your money. In most western countries health and safety regulations forbid employees who handle money to touch unwrapped foodstuff with their bare hands that will be eaten uncooked. Why?  Because money is one of the best ways to transmit infections and

if you examined notes and coins under a microscope you would faint at

what you found, including  faeces content!! (Also funnily enough

cocaine residue from time to time!). Fortunately, the French authorities have cracked down and now metal

prongs should be used where pastries and sticky type buns are being

served, as these can act as bacterial cultures! My advice is be streetwise about demanding acceptable hygiene standards

from food handlers, especially where food will be eaten uncooked. As

infections such as E.Coli and Salmonella are becoming more prevalent

and increasingly resistant to treatment.

[/quote]

Our two local shops were visited by the H&S brigade last November. They were asked to install hand-washing facilities near the cold meat and cheese counters, to wear disposable gloves when handling cold meat and cheese and to replace the open glass counter for a sloping fronted one...

These are bare minimum levels in matters of hygiene...

[+o(]My pet hate is supermarket trolleys: I find it really disgusting to see children being encouraged to stand in them, wearing outdoor shoes and knowing they could have stepped in the numerous dog poops on the way, whilst every shopper afterwards will be putting their bread, fruits and veg in the same trolley afterwards... I always put my own shopping bag inside the trolley and then on the floor (never on the worktops or table) when I unload the shopping at home!!!

Yes, I am paranoid! [:P]

Cannot remember how long ago our very very olde fashioned butchers changed over to something that is very modern and opened a cheese counter at the far end of the shop. So we had the meats, then the charcuterie on the next bit, although no real boundary between these and then the cash counter and then further on the cheese.

Behind the cheese counter a sink and tap was installed. It has NEVER EVER been used and more often than not had a plant in a pot in this sink. Serving raw meats and poultry, to charcuterie, to cheese is done by the same staff and never a hand wipe in site.

All I can say is that I don't know of anyone who has been ill after eating stuff from there. But it does put me off and for all I used to buy a lot of meat from them, have just realised how little I do now.

I do like the American system in this regard at least [;-)]. The health inspector gives a rating based on cleanliness. No matter how posh the premises they have to display it in front for all to see. They do spot checks so the owners and staff don't know when one is going to take place. They also report the worst offenders in the local newspaper.

I would be interested to know if France has any checks particularly in kitchens. Obviously they do not have them in butchers, supermarkets etc..

I really find this thread amazing, our local supermarket ( middle east, 3rd world etc!!!!!) has staff with plastic hair covers, new pair of plastic gloves for every single transaction or change of product type, very rigid MOH inspection procedures ( including closing a supermarket if out of date stock is found). Yet in the civilised world, the centre of (supposedly) culinary excellence the reported things are common ( or so it seems).

I have lived in many third World countries ( Africa + Middle East ) and have only suffered 'real' food poisoning problems twice - both times on holiday in France!, after eating at quite up-market establishments. Have I been unlucky or is the culinary standing of France greatly over rated?