Question of the Day!!

tj

Hi

I remember some 30 years ago we would change the polarity on our, then, old cars, by flashing from the battery to the regulator,, so we could have the 8 track players fitted which needed negative earth.

So, today my wife asked me to check over her bicycle, all in order except the lights, wait for it..........they work fine........but only in reverse...I guess an issue with the dynamo? but cannot figure it out........

any thoughts?

TJ

Bit of a long shot but is the dynamo the "bottle" type that runs against the tyre or a hub? You've probably done this anyway but if it's of the bottle type check that the wheel hasn't been adjusted so that there isn't quite enough pressure to turn the dynamo going forwards but it just catches going backwards.

There's not much to go wrong in these dynamos.  I'm sure you've done this but are all connections clean and secure?  There's so little power in these things that even a slightly duff connection will cause problems.  Also, if possible, run a short wire from the dynamo to a bulb (which you know is OK) and spin the wheel vigourously!   at least that will eliminate a fault in the dynamo and point to the bulbholder/switch being dodgy.