removing limescale from shower doors

Brian

Does anyone know of anything that will remove the horrible limescale/calcium deposits that the water leaves on shower screens/doors. I've tried lemon juice and vinegar but it doesn't seem to do anything. I hope there is something coz I've got quite a few to clean and I'm fed up scrubbing and not getting anywhere.

Thanks

In the UK I use Limelite spray - excellent !

However you could try making a paste of preferably white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda, giving a thorough scrub with a washing up brush or similar and then leaving it for a few minutes before rinsing.

I think the problem you are having with vinegar at present is that it runs down the door too quickly to be effective, making a paste should give it time to 'work'.

WEARING EYE PROTECTION AND RUBBER GLOVES take about 100g of pH moins powder used in swimming pools and add it to about 200ml of water. When it is dissolved, pour this solution into a spray bottle, add a dash of washing up liquid and apply to your screens liberally. Leave for about 20 minutes and rinse thoroughly. Polish up with the usual glass spray

[quote user="Mikew"]Mr Propre 'Eclair' for calcaire works well on sinks etc, it is a spray so should be ok on shower glass. Use with care, it is strong stuff.[/quote]

We are not in a hard water area so it is not a major problem, but Mr Propre does a great job of leaving glass shower doors and screens streak and water-spot free.

Thanks so much. I'm going to the supermarket tomorrow to buy them all! I'll try the pool stuff to.If they work I should have the shinyest(is that how you spell it, doesn't look right) showers in France. I might have to issue our guests (when we get any) with sunglasses so they dont damage their eyes when they go in the bathrooms. I'll let you know how I get on.

Gill (Bri's OH & little scrubber)

I think by the time it meets the bacteria it will be sufficiently diluted not to matter too much. If you are worried, then a couple of extra sachets of Eparcyl or Septifos down the loo should make sure all is OK.

The Oz Clean (or whatever it is called) products are very effective too. Not sure if you can get them in France though, we imported ours (from Australia via Tesco). A bit like Cillit Bang but without having to endure Barry Scott's shouting.

Best of all though, at least for in the corners and around taps etc, is a steam cleaner with high-pressure nozzle.

Vinegar!  It's brilliant, non-toxic and cheap.  I have switched to using vinegar, baking soda and savon noir for practically all my cleaning.  Occasionally I have to use a bit of Javel, but that's rare.

Spray vinegar on the shower door and leave it there for about ten minutes, then rinse off.  That should do the trick.

May I also suggest buying one of those rubber squeegees that you use to clean the car windows.  Keep it in the shower and when you finish showering, just squeegee the water off the glass.  It will keep it from getting splotched in the future.

PG