Why ?

Bugsy

If it's an electrical item, then those destined for English-speaking countries (at least within Europe and much of the middle east) will have 13A plugs fitted so that can make it worth putting in just English instructions. Other European countries will have identical equipment and it would be too much hassle to package each separately so they have a multi-lingual (except English) booklet. At least that's my theory, backed up from past experience of writing manuals etc.

I bought a DVD recorder from Amazon UK at Christmas. They contacted me to warn me that the item would be shipped from a French company, and would therefore have instructions in French. OK, I thought, and geared myself up for reading instructions that had been translated from Japanese into French...

When it arrived the instructions were in English and assorted Scandinavian languages as well as French, and it had a moulded-on UK plug. Go, as the man said, figure!

[quote user="Bugbear"]

Not for the first time have I made a purchase in France only to find the instructions in twelve languages, but not English.

Why ?..........................[8-)]

[/quote]

Since when has a bloke ever read instructions???!

[quote user="Will"]If it's an electrical item, then those destined for English-speaking countries (at least within Europe and much of the middle east) will have 13A plugs fitted so that can make it worth putting in just English instructions. Other European countries will have identical equipment and it would be too much hassle to package each separately so they have a multi-lingual (except English) booklet. At least that's my theory, backed up from past experience of writing manuals etc.[/quote]

That's a good point, Will, but things like sewing patterns are often like this too.   The instructions will be in French, Dutch, German, Italian, and Spanish, but no English.    There is often an English-only version.

Just different markets, I guess.  

[quote user="Jc"]Not just electrical goods;look at your food containers-they usually seem to have French,Dutch and Greek?? but not the second commonest language in the world.[/quote]

I must admit ..... I have sat with my French dictionary, just to be sure I'm cooking things right & not about to poison us!!  [:-))]

Of all the stuff I've bought for our property, the ONLY thing that didn't have instructions in English, was the chainsaw................which also happened to be the only thing I really needed instructions for[:(]

Stihl sent me some when I contacted them.

Has anyone else had an electrical item with what looks like a standard UK plug on it, but when you undo the screw, it comes apart and has a moulded on two pin European one inside it? Excellent design.

My post was also because I bought a new chainsaw. I downloaded the english instructions off their website....[:)]

I bought a bench grinder some time ago, made in the UK, instructions in every language but english. I think Wills point about plugs is the most likely reason, but it does make you smile.

A few years ago I was sitting in the café in B&Q and idly noticed that on one wall was a rack of ‘pigeon holes’ for instruction leaflets.  Only one had leaflets in it which was entitled; “Maintaining your Chainsaw”.  Above it was a huge sign which said; “ALL INSTRUCTION LEAFLETS AVAILABLE IN BRAILLE”.  A cold shudder passed over me...

Brian