Public internet access

Teamedup

Yes, our neighbouring village offers free internet access to all residents of the canton (our village itself is too small to have anything except the Mairie and Salle de Fêtes, though we do have a limited version of ADSL ...).  It's available 8.5 hours a week over various days and times.

Our village will have internet access from April this year in our nice new library.  Only total population (actually 2 villages) of 1100 but our mayor is very keen on making it possible for people to work from home etc.  So, now we have ADSL (hooray) and soon internet for all.

There is an ongoing programme to bring computer/internet use to rural areas. As of last month, I believe that there three or four in the Haut Vienne. They are usually sited in local Mairies or bars - any place that is accessible for the general public. There is one in my local village hotel. You have the use of a computer with internet access and an all in one printer.  As far as I am aware, this a service provided by the Department and there is no charge. The Limousin was one of the last tosign up for this service so you should be able to find a site in your area.  

Yes, I think mine in the Vendee has a computer club a couple of afternoons a week where you can go and surf etc.

When I am on research trips away from base and need to clear out my spam email messages from time to time, I have never had a problem finding a cybercafe (in Amiens, Arras, Calais, Noeux-les-Mines, Albert), either coming across one by accident or through asking the tourist office. Mostly it costs about 1 to 1.5 euro for an hour - but the one in Calais was a lot more!

Angela

Down in the Gers our partner village has a Tourist Office cum Village Hall with its own on line computers which they have set up to provide training for local people but which I was able to hire for about 2 Euro an hour

Amazing to see the older lads and lasses getting on line for the first time