Paid Off the Mortgage to Come to France?

Re: ( Exit fees) These charges have been rising to a ridiculous price so I just thought I would share this nugget with those who have paid off their mortgages to come and live in France.   After listening to Money Box live on BBC, apparently if you were charged a small fortune (like me) for the privilege of paying back your loan company, you may be able to claim some of it back according to BBC Money Box.  You don't even have to remember all the details to claim but you have to write as it won't be refunded automatically.  My letter's in the post![:)]

(Just send me 10% ta)

Georgina

Knowing MSE within a few days there will be template letters available - who needs to give someone 50% ?

Still ten out of ten for enterprise[:D]

PS Just got this through my email inbox via Money Saving Expert:

Now get £100s in mortgage fees back with just a phone call. New Lender by Lender Guide
A few weeks ago I wrote that the FSA (the financial regulator), had said most mortgage exit fees had been unfairly increased, and I drafted a template for anyone who's switched mortgages in the last five years to try to get their money back. 1,000s succeeded and after being forced to report back to the FSA last week, most of the major mortgage companies now simply pay out if asked. This is a totally updated and rewritten guide to getting your cash back. New Article: Mortgage Fee Reclaiming

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know you may not think it worth while for those living in France, but as this shows it may be worth signing up - its free and you get a email update.

Sorry about your friend Katie !

Martin Lewis who runs MSE was one of the prime movers in getting back these charges however recently he has emphasised that you should open a second bank account before sending off these letters as some banks will pay back the money, but close your account.

From the email I had a few moments ago there are now template letters to get back the over payment of exit fees (see above)

Personally I think that MSE is one of the top UK based web sites and a must for bookmarking. I used it for travel insurance this week (long weekend away for my daughter) Ok, it took me to Money Super market, but the options for the insurance ranged from under £4 - so easy.......

Ooh that's interesting about travel insurance, something else that you have to be careful about.  Apparently on Watchdog I think, a lot of people are being sold travel policies that are not suitable.   Good site MSE though RH.

Georgina

I'm going to start charging them commission soon but heh, Nationwide.  No exit fees at all.  Nor the Portland Building Society.  Do the financial wizzards know if this is predominantly a bank mortgage problem, rather than a Building Society one, or are they equally guilty?

[quote user="Just Katie "]My friend has just started up a company claiming back bank charges.  He then goes 50/50 on the amount claimed.  A bit steep in my opinion, but a nice little earner until he starts to get undercut.[/quote]

So, having been ripped off by the banks for the last six years, the poor can now be ripped off by your friend.  Onl;y difference as i can see is that the banks never claimed to be trying to help!!

[quote user="Chief"]

[quote user="Just Katie "]My friend has just started up a company claiming back bank charges.  He then goes 50/50 on the amount claimed.  A bit steep in my opinion, but a nice little earner until he starts to get undercut.[/quote]

So, having been ripped off by the banks for the last six years, the poor can now be ripped off by your friend.  Onl;y difference as i can see is that the banks never claimed to be trying to help!!

[/quote]

That is correct Chief.  But then again it is the clients choice.  As I said, the fees are a little on the steep side in my opinion.  Yes RH, he is an entrepreneur and has his finger in every pie in the shop.