Does anyone watch La Nouvelle Star ?

Beryl

Last night a girl sang an Alanis Morrisette song but she clearly hadn't got a clue what the real words were or what they meant ' I gor wun han in my pock an nuvver wan dois wy fife'.  Really, it was that bad but the judges thought it was great. 

Yet I notice that the ones that sing really well in French are more likely to be rejected. [8-)]

I am not knocking the French for singing (badly) in English ( I still sing " key the noodles, spear the lawn" to Mathew Chedid's 'Qui de nous deux' [:$]) but it just strikes me as odd how English sung badly is favoured over French sung well .

Ah yes, when we used to sing Alouette at school, I always sung "Aloueter jonty aloueter, alouter jonty plumeray".  It was only recently that I realised what the words actually were, and what they meant [blink]

I've never eaten a lark, but I suppose they taste "just like chicken".

Beryl - OH is addicted to Nouvelle Star and I agree it is painful to hear the renditions in english.    I can just about cope with the final few weeks of it, but all these auditions have the merit of keeping my ironing up to date as on Wednesday evenings I seek refuge in the laundry room!