Don't forget Mother's Day UK

Mother's Day 18th March in England.  Nearly missed this last year.  I know it's different here but I don't think our mothers would appreciate waiting for the French version. Interflora charging mega bucks, I think it might be cheaper to get the boat for the day.[blink]

For our American friends 13th March by the way!

Is it June in France?

Georgina

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Iceni"][quote user="Georgina"]Is it June in France?Georgina[/quote]No, still March.Johnnot[/quote]

Mai 1950: la loi du 24 mai 1950 institue la fête des mères, signée par

le président de la République Vincent Auriol. « La fête des mères est

fixée au dernier dimanche de mai, lorsque cette date coïncide avec

celle de Pentecôte, la fête des mères a lieu le premier dimanche de

juin ». De ce fait, la fête des mères fait partie des fêtes mobiles

dont la date change chaque année (2006: 28 mai; 2007: 3 juin; 2008: 25

mai; 2009 7 juin; 2010: 30 mai...)

[quote user="Tresco"]

[quote user="Georgina"]Mother's Day 18th March in England.  [/quote]

My Mum will get the best present of all this year. Me![;-)]

[/quote]

Tresco that is soooooo lovely [:D]

Your post made me cry [:'(]

[quote user="Poppy"]Tresco that is soooooo lovely [:D]

Your post made me cry [:'(]

[/quote]

Oh Poppy, are you missing your mum too? [:(]  I feel so lucky to be going as it wasn't really planned in advance much.

Last year my son went up to spend a few hours with her on Mothers Day. That touched me nearly as much as the Mothers Day card he Faxed to me one year.[:D]

I don't 'do' mother's day. My thought is that I and everyone else can be nice all the year round and don't need to be told what day to be nice or buy a loved one something special or do something special with them.

My friend here says it is a good excuse for a fête, but I never need an excuse anyway.

You are all so lucky to have your mothers this mothers day!

on me mammy's last mothers day (we did not know it was to be her last) I got her a huge dovecote she was mad about for weeks, after seeing it in a garden centre in the Cotswolds.  The dovecote lay in her garden for months. Every time I visited her, she would ask me "will you ever put up me little bird house" Of course, I never found the time to do it! Untill that day in november that she was sat in her garden, and she said "will I ever see me little bird house full of grand doves" I went and got the materials I needed, and I put up her beloved dovecote at long last! You should have seen the delight in her beautiful face! She never got to see the birds that made their home in the dovecote, as she went to see her little son that had passed away when a few days old. She had been telling me about "her little Angel in Heaven" only a few weeks before they were together again. I shall never forget the happiness I saw in her face looking at that dovecote. 

"for though they may be parted, there is still a chance that they will see"  (Paul McArtney)

Nixxy, you're just as soft as a prosthetic rubber ear sometimes.[kiss]

A dovecote! [:)] My Laddio took my mum a couple of cans of Barley Wine, and much appreciated they were. The rest of the family had earlier kept her away from her preferred tipple.

That sort of behaviour makes 'Mothers Day' more like 'Adult Children be Bossy and Controlling Day' in her eyes.

I love Mother's Day - I always make sure that somebody visits the grave, takes a large hammer and gives the stake a couple of good whacks to make sure the old witch doesn't rise from her grave to haunt the family again.

However MIL who is in a nursing home with severe dementia and doesn't understand one day from the next gets flowers from J and I just in case she has a better and more lucid period and remembers what Mother's Day may be about. 

• 2 weeks later...
I was quite moved by Furry Knickers' story and while I still had tears in my eyes I was forced to laugh out loud when I read Tony F Dordognes irreverent post! But can somebody explain the difference to me between Mothering Sunday and Mother's day (I was told off by my neighbour for calling it Mother's day!)

I'm one of those who prefers to stick to "Mothering Sunday" - just because that is the traditional name. It is on the fourth Sunday in Lent.

Mother's Day is an idea which started in the USA at the beginning of the 20th century and is on the second Sunday in May.

I've had complaints from my own kids for a few years now because they are finding it increasingly difficult to find a card that says Mothering Sunday that doesn't appear to be designed for a 150 year old romantic cretin. I think Monika's neighbour and I are fighting a losing battle.

Hoddy