husband-wife relationship while living in France.

Patf

[quote user="Prasutagus"]

Is there anybody out there who does not regret it one little bit? 

[/quote]

No regrets here either.  Like Tony, we've got a great circle of friends, our life is more relaxed, we love the surroundings and have no desire to return to the U.S.

PG

Tony.  Presumably you go to the UK for a reason?    It must provide you with something you can't get in France, otherwise you wouldn't do it?

I'm just wondering, in light of the question about whether one should up sticks and move to France lock, stock, and barrel.

I have a feeling that in spite of what people claim, France does not (and can not) fulfill all of their needs, and that is well worth bearing in mind for anyone considering such a move.

Unless, of course, one has oodles of money, allowing one to heat one's house properly and go on the odd proper holiday!  [:)]

rumzigal says:

"I have a feeling that in spite of what people claim, France does not (and can not) fulfill all of their needs, and that is well worth bearing in mind for anyone considering such a move."

can the uk "fulfill all of your (sic) needs"?  can it anybody's?

come to that, can any PERSON fulfill all your needs?

surely you yourself decide what YOU need to be happy and, if you're not, then you had better do something about it, hadn't you?  nothing to do with the weather or the country or the government or gordon brown (topical this) or french bureaucracy.  it's down to you in the end.

don't take offence, none intended.  for "you", read "one"!

[quote user="sweet 17"]

surely you yourself decide what YOU need to be happy and, if you're not, then you had better do something about it, hadn't you?  nothing to do with the weather or the country or the government or gordon brown (topical this) or french bureaucracy.  it's down to you in the end.

[/quote]

Well said. Too many people seem to expect perfection to be handed to them and are not prepared to either work it out for themselves or make the best of what they have.

Di and I are relatively simple people (or is that simpletons ?) with similar, relatively simple tastes and rural France suits US but I can understand why others are ready for a padded cell after a couple of winters.

The fool on the hill.

We could never move to France permanently and think that, if we did, it would have a disastrous effect on our marraige.  Although I love to escape to the peace and quiet of France (and we did, at one stage, think of moving to France permanently) it is peaceful and quiet here because of the contrast with our hectic lives back in the UK.  Without that contrast (for me) it would quickly become dull and boring.  I would miss my friends and family - not for the lovey dovey reasons - but because I can get into an  intellectual debate with them over a bottle of wine - we have shared history.  Although our French neighbours are great it's not the same - non of them have been to university etc (in fact a number struggle with spelling and simple maths), they don't understand our humour, we don't have a common history etc.  I would miss the girlie nights at the pub - there just isn't an equivalent in France.   I would miss the beautiful English countryside (French countryside is beautiful but it's not England and it's not home).  I miss the diversity of food in our local supermarkets.  There are things I hate about England and I feel sad at what has happened to British society over the last twenty years - but it is still my homeland and where my heart is. 

As I have said before, our plan is to keep a home in both countries and also to travel.  Being at home 24 hours a day with each other would be disastrous for us - particularly in rural France where we would be thrown together even more (lack of anything much else to do). We  have tried it - we worked together when we were first married and it was an unmitigated disaster - we managed 6 months of it before I found another job.

My advice for anyone planning to come here is (if you can) to rent out your UK home so you have somewhere to return to.  Then rent in France and do this for at least twelve months, preferably two years, or at least until you have a very good grasp of the language, have gotten over the honeymoon period when everything is rosy in the garden and have a very good idea of where you want to be (rural idylls generally only work in fairy tales / farms) and even then, if you can, keep a foothold in the UK.

Kathie

Edit - I'll probably get shot down in flames for this - but the most interesting and intellectual conversation I've had in France has been with a (retired professional) English couple from the next village at our village fete.  So maybe there is a reason why English people stick together?