Mr Browns had his last say.

Pun

Well mr Browns had his last say ref the budget,

I wonder how many people have had enough of the U.K. and have decided to move to france and has this latest budget put a stop to any brits who thought they'd return to the u.k. from france.

be interesting to here the both school of thoughts on this subject.

As it widely reported to be a neutral budget I really don't think it will make much difference, however how a Labour Chancellor can abolish the lower rate of tax for the less well off, just amazes me.

BTW If it effects you, there is a calculator to show how much it will effect you, or not, on the BBC web site :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/business/budget_calc/html/budget_calculator.stm

It seems he giveith with one hand and takeith with the other.  Not that I live in the UK but the calculator was interesting and I plugged in the values as if I was there.  I discovered that not only would I be paying a LOT more in tax etc than I am now but but the net change from last year to this would benefit me by a whole 25 pence!!  I'll try not to spend it all at once.

[quote user="Pun"]

I wonder how many people have had enough of the U.K. and have decided to move to france [/quote]

Pun, millions of people are on the move round the world all the time.  A few well-off Brits moving across the Channel to France really isn't that interesting.

I'm not so sure.  I discovered the other day that two more people in our part of the office have just bought homes in France - which I believe takes the french second home owners to 6 members of staff out of 70.  This seems a pretty high percentage.  I don't think any have any immediate plans to up sticks and move to France permanently though...all for holiday / retirement.

Good job we didn't buy with the intention of letting!!

Kathie

Russethouse.

I am afraid that bbc calculator is hopelessly wrong. Personal taxation is to rise for everyone under 65 after 2008. Most will pay an average 40% more in tax. The only people who will actually benefit from the budget are those on working familier tax credits, incomes between 37K-40K and persons aged 65 or over. The calculator seems to not understand that.  

Logan - I asked my personal IFA about this (my sister [:)]) :

If you read the notes above the calculator it is intended to work out how your income will differ for the tax year 07/08 – the changes that TBB announced in the budget don’t come into force until 6/4/08 – the notes do make this clear – in any event, it isn’t their own calculator but the one from KPMG

I'm just glad I'm here and he's there. A totally objectionable person and I'm glad I am well clear when he becomes Prime Minister. That guy from the civil service last week got it right (though he was understating things a bit). But we hear he (Gordon) has now become a fluffy cuddly bunny and completely changed (now he wants power) - and if people believe that then the electorate is dafter than I thought. In the words of Jilted John ....

Ian

Well if our (many dealings) with his department are anything to go by he's a power crazed nut.  The phrase 'institutional bullying' has been used on a number of occassions.  I also think he's sly and devious - too many weasly words for my liking (though you could say that of many politicians).  I can't stand the man.

Kathie

[quote user="Dick Smith"]You know him well enough to judge, then?
[/quote]

Met him 4 times (not just a "hello" as he passes by - in business meetings) - and it was enough to allow me to set some fairly definite opinions about him. Each time he came across very much the same and behaved and treated others in pretty much the same way.

Ian