Does it get better?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="catalpa"][quote user="hastobe"]and I have a big pan of mushy peas simmering on the hob...mmmmmm.  If heaven is half as good as this.....
[/quote]
... then I want to go south. [:-))]
[/quote]

Come south Catalpa and we will get you all the Steak Frites you want [:-))]

[quote user="Bugbear"]

Calm down RG, I didn't write it I merely quoted from it..........................[:D]

pas importante.....................................[:)]

Think about Cod n Chips, it's much more     interesing....................

[/quote]

That's the problem, Bugbear, I'm trying NOT to think of fish and chips (I'll have haddock if you don't mind).   Goodies in Romsey, next to the Plaza Theatre, damn fine fish and chips and curry sauce.   Disappears down my cakehole at supersonic speed, and I LOVE it!! 

Helped down by a Fiddler's Elbow or a Bishop's Finger.   Depends on  my mood, y'know?

I brought a Hobgoblin back to France this time.  Only room for one. 

[quote user="RumziGal"] 

Helped down by a Fiddler's Elbow or a Bishop's Finger.   Depends on  my mood, y'know?

[/quote]

I've got Tennis Elbow and a Dislocated Finger, does that count........................[Www]...........[8-|]

The mind boggles...................................................[:D][:D]

I am afraid I am going to join 5-element in the fallout shelter as soon as I press 'post'

[quote user="hastobe"]
we are northerners too vickybear and I agree we make, absolutely the best fish and chips - fried in beef dripping - non of this namby pamby low cholesterol stuff...
[/quote]

I have to play the nationalism card and disagree, with at least one point. I agree with the beef dripping bit, but not the 'best chips'. In my previous life in South Africa and then the UK I was an archaeology lecturer. When I took students on fieldtrips to South Africa, the first stop for me straight off the 9 hour flight was the chip shop. I would buy each student a bag of chips (two for me), and defy them to tell me they were not the best chips they had ever had! I think it was only those who wanted distinctions agreed with me. [;-)] Just shows how cultural food is!

[quote user="LanguedocGal"]

[quote user="catalpa"][quote user="hastobe"]and I have a big pan of mushy peas simmering on the hob...mmmmmm.  If heaven is half as good as this.....

[/quote]

... then I want to go south. [:-))]

[/quote]

Come south Catalpa and we will get you all the Steak Frites you want [:-))]

[/quote]

Moules frites? [kiss] I'm on my way...

(to be truthful, I was trying to indicate that if mushy peas were Heavenly, I'd take my chances in Hell. [6])

Best chips I ever had was in Belgium. Sizzling hot, chunky, crisply fluffy... beef dripping was involved...[8-|]

[quote user="hastobe"]LOL hubby is just on his way to get fish and chips - and I have a big pan of mushy peas simmering on the hob...mmmmmm.  If heaven is half as good as this.....

Kathie

Edit: we are northerners too vickybear and I agree we make, absolutely the best fish and chips - fried in beef dripping - non of this namby pamby low cholesterol stuff...
[/quote]

After my own heart Hasttobe, I do that too, make a pan up and we go and buy the fish and chips, so much mushier and nicer.

TonyF, Stockton on Tees didn't smell of frying last time we were there. In fact along the riverside was splendid.

[quote user="daisymay"]

Check out Peter Kay on the north south divide ragarding chips

Chips and peas please, don't do peas

chuips and curry sauce, don't do curry sauce

chips and gravy, don't do gravy

ast thou nowt moist?

[/quote]

In the States and Canada they always served chips, well fries with gravy where ever we have been, just seemed so civilised to me.I do think that some french cuisine would be much improved with gravy and the jus or a sauce just doesn't do it on some things.

You don't have chips and gravy. Have you not had choice tender braised steak and carrots in a rich onion gravy with chips, firstly putting a little salt and vinegar on the chips. It is delicious.

In Quebec the quebecois have gravy and could eat a meal without a piece of bread in their hand and they have a local dish of chips gravy and a local cheese on it. That too was very good.

Well it isn't just a northern thing, as they have it on the other side of the Atlantic too. You southern folks are missing out.

We found our move to France easier than some of the English speaking countries we've lived in.  We've lived in 8 now and I can honestly say we wouldn't want to live anywhere else but France.  We found everyone here in Normandy really friendly and helpful We have had no problems with  the bank, notaire, tax office etc. Our local mayor is great and been a big help.

I honestly believe attitude plays a big part.  If you are happy and content you cope so much better.

Are you really sure you want to make the move and the above isn't an excuse not to.?

Just to keep up the Northern theme:  Beer batter:- flour, salt, pepper, vinegar and only use bitter to mix it. Fresh white fish ( try hammour) in beer batter with chips fried in beef dripping ( oil - whats that for apart from in the car engine?) and mushy mushy mushy peas with loads of vinegar on.

The best fish ever was from a chippy on colne road in Nelson, near the Boundary cafe - its closed now [:(]

Just to go back to the southern theme:

Steak frites, Yeah! Moules-frites, Yeah! However,  chips or frites person, have to have lashings of Dijon mustard with them[8-|]. (Even my own mother disowns me on that point, doesn't know where I got it from.[:)]

I am very sorry all, but food is definitely NOT one of the aspects of England that brings on any nostalgia, except for Asian/Indian food, mince pies, and mint sauce/ roasted lamb. Not that I am crazy about all-French food, I think it gets a bit boring too.  Fusion, diversity, world food, that's how I get my food  

Fish'n'chips ...definitely not.

Maybe that's how you can tell a real Brit from a fake one like me. The fish and chips test.

That's it, fusion food - like world music, the only way to go!

Love the music, love the food - ok, can pass on sheeps eyes (love 'arab' food), rancid yak butter (throat music) and some of the more obscure intestinal dishes served by by Jenny's folks (Armenian music is superb generally).

I'm now not allowed any red meat including duck and the more gamey fowl - and that is a real bummer here as you would know - so the north African food with fish and chicken, lots of interesting veggies, arab stuff or home made asian food (not too spicy tho) just suits me fine.

But a bag of chips ............ well, it aint red meat after all!

When the doctor told me that a little red wine was good for me I asked him if a lot of red wine was better - he gave me one of those looks that you get from a teacher when you've said something really daft! Ho hum ................ 

I can't remember if I have had vinegar with chips in the states, I am a bit used to it not being available in France, so may not have asked. There are times when I have asked for it and got it in France, once they brought a bol full of the stuff. We just couldn't work out what they thought we were going to do with it.

Truthfully, I would put just about 'any' vinegar on my chips. We rather like vinaigre de xeres at the moment.

And we do know french people who have chips with vinaigre on them and we have introduced others to it and they love it.

Now I know I am going to get lot's of 'well there would be wouldn't there being full of english' but I'm going to say it anyway, there is a pretty good fish and chip shop in the Charente run by english people which compares favourably with what I can remember of the British version. 

We also have houses with mains sewage connections so it's not necessary to worry about what you put down them Vicky!