Does it get better?

And back, more or less, to the original topic.  I don't mean to disparage anyone: I do understand that there are times when one finds oneself in a miserable situation and needs to make a change.  And I also understand that life in the UK has become very expensive compared to some other countries.

However, I'm inclined to think that you're most likely to be happy in a new place when you've moved there because something about it really touches your heart- whether it be the scenery or the culture or the kindness of the people, whatever.  I'm more doubtful about the prospects of many people who want to move to France because they're unhappy where they are.  From observation and experience, I've concluded that we usually carry our misery around with us.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Bugbear"][quote user="tenniswitch"]

I'm sure you don't really think that applies to everyone or to every choice.

Having said that, I think I'm the sort of person who is much more likely to regret the things I haven't done.

A few years ago, I chose to do something rather costly that didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped.  I would never recommend that anyone else do the same thing, and yet I don't regret having done it.  I learned a lot from the experience, and it was definitely one of those things that I would have forever wondered "if only..."

[/quote]

Spot on TS, and what a good example too.

Gary.

p.s. for quotations see this

[/quote]

Good link, I didn't have that one.  Thanks.

[quote user="tenniswitch"]

A few years ago, I chose to do something rather costly that didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped.  I would never recommend that anyone else do the same thing, and yet I don't regret having done it.  I learned a lot from the experience, and it was definitely one of those things that I would have forever wondered "if only..."

[/quote]

Yes, this trite view of the world does apply if the results of what you did weren't too bad.  I mean, presumable nobody died or even lost limbs or had their entire house burned to the ground because of what you did?

I'll bet the guy who said it wouldn't be so smug if those things happened to him because of something he did!  

Blackadder moment coming on...... "and that's where you'd be wrong!".  Who knows what episode I'm thinking of?  [:)]  

Rum: You have a woman's

legs, my lord!  I'll wager those are legs that have never been sliced clean

off by a falling sail, and swept into the sea before your very eyes.

Edmund : Well, neither

have yours.

Rum: That's where you'd be wrong.

Throws aside table showing his lack of legs

Edmund: Oh my God!

Rum: No point in changing

your mind now; no one else will come. The whole thing's suicide anyway.

[quote user="RumziGal"][quote user="tenniswitch"]

[/quote]

Yes, this trite view of the world does apply if the results of what you did weren't too bad.  I mean, presumable nobody died or even lost limbs or had their entire house burned to the ground because of what you did?

I'll bet the guy who said it wouldn't be so smug if those things happened to him because of something he did!  

Blackadder moment coming on...... "and that's where you'd be wrong!".  Who knows what episode I'm thinking of?  [:)]  

[/quote]

I'm sorry, are you thinking that I'm GW Bush incognito?  I was speaking of a situation where the results affected only myself.  I would certainly regret doing something that caused any harm to others.  The original question was about living in France, and meandered off into areas of attitude and risk-tolerance.  There's no need to take the question to absurd extremes.

[quote user="tenniswitch"]There's no need to take the question to absurd extremes.[/quote]

Au contraire, I took the statement at face value.  "One only regrets the things one didn't do" is to me just a trite soundbite, and is clearly untrue.

But if it makes some people feel good about themselves, then it serves a purpose.

So you are saying that I should regret things I didn't do?

All things or just some things?

Because if it is just some things then the statement has no meaning, as it has to be modified. Otherwise I should regret that I didn't cheat when I had the chance, steal when I had the opportunity or lie when to do so would have been expedient. Therefore, as SB says, it is trite.

For goodness sake please take the quotation in the context that it was quoted, namely should I do something that I feel I really want to do.

Literally, it's rubbish, Trite, of course, but in the context of a potentially life-changing decision, such as a move to a different country, I think it does have some merit.

The point I was really trying to make was that of, not having to sit there in your old age wishing that you had done something different, thats all.

Gary.

There is not much that I regret in my life.

I have made some bad choices and mistakes but had I not made them, my life would have taken a different path and overall I am happy with  my life. 

Spending time regretting what you have done or what you haven't, could eat you up!

Anyway..............we had Cumberland sausage and mustard mash tonight with onion gravy, the weather was 22 degrees today and the beach was surprisingly empty so lots of room for bat and ball with the dogs. Got a job interview tomorrow so, if successful, the extended holiday is over but hey, ho....it's a part-time job [:D]