Does it get better?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are kidding aren't you. Now, even if I haven't got to be told to be careful what goes down mains drains,  personally I would never 'abuse' them any more. I remember my SIL putting a disposable nappy down hers and blocking the whole system and it cost a pretty penny to get it unblocked.

I just wouldn't put anything other than is necessary down any system any more. Surely sani towels and tampons and condoms must take a lot of clearing out by some process or other that is costly.

TeamedUp my note was in reply to Vicky saying she no longer had to worry about what she puts down the loo now she was back in England.  I think (but could be wrong) that we are talking about bleaching said loo here, not chucking nappies down, to do that, I agree ,you would have to be pretty stupid! 

I can tell you that people do put the things that Teamedup mentioned down mains drains. A favourite place for me in the NE of England is a rocky cove with pools and cliffs and lots of flora and fauna. I returned after an absence of a few years and found these things floating in the rockpools, plus human excrement, but no starfish, crabs, sea weeds etc. They have improved the pumping station now and all this rubbish is now discharged far out at sea.  Pat.

But I put bleach down my loo in France. That stuff with the parfum. I always have done whether it be from Super U or Carrefour or Leader Price.  I always check that it is bio degradable and I don't do it every day either, but I do it regularly never the less.

Funny how much we get to know about people on here isn't it. I bet my best friends don't know that.

AND on the subject of toilets, I think I'm off, the Geheime Staatspolizei are in action again and I just can't be doing with it.

Thank you for your concern Mr Smith...

My wife furthered the cause for womankind did she not? And avenged the crimes against our daughters. Like everything else, Colchester is in the past and sadly still lives that way.

Q for mods - why are so many of us registered on the same date, 23.8.04?

[quote user="Prasutagus"]

Q for mods - why are so many of us registered on the same date, 23.8.04?

[/quote]

There must have been a promo on that day!

Moi? I love Colchester and can't wait to get back for my next visit at the end of the month. A lot of my time is usually spent on St Botoph's platform, weighed down with goodies, waiting for a train!!

[quote user="Iceni"][quote user="zeb"]A lot of my time is usually spent on St Botoph's platform, weighed down with goodies, waiting for a train!![/quote]

Aka Colchester Town ?

John

not[/quote]Yeah, it's always been St Botolph's to me!!

Edit: I give up with this quote malarky!!

Post edited by a mod to make the quote easier to read

My memories of St Botolphs are more to do with the Priory, specifically the grounds and of when I was but an acne and angst ridden teenager, delicacy prevents me from elaborating but suffice to say we are still married....[kiss] [kiss]

Probably full of junkies needles now....[:@]

EDIT: St Botolphs that is, not me.....................[:D]

[quote user="Bugbear"]

Someone once said (I forget who) "That in life, you only regret things that you don't do"

It was Dr. Wayne Dyer. As in;

"You don’t regret what you do, you regret what you don’t do. When you do something and don’t like the result you produce, you have a choice. You can learn from the experience. You can make changes and in that sense, there’s no regret. There’s actually gratitude for the fall, because the falls provide you with the energy to propel yourself to higher and higher places in our lives. When you’d like to try something and you don’t because you’re afraid of failing or you’re afraid of somebody else’s opinion about it, then you can have regrets. You can go through your whole life wondering what would have happened if you had asked her to go out. There is also an aspect of regret after doing something harmful toward another person. When you feel regret, vow to change your behavior. In that sense, regret serves our evolution."

[/quote]

I'm sure you don't really think that applies to everyone or to every choice.

Having said that, I think I'm the sort of person who is much more likely to regret the things I haven't done.

A few years ago, I chose to do something rather costly that didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped.  I would never recommend that anyone else do the same thing, and yet I don't regret having done it.  I learned a lot from the experience, and it was definitely one of those things that I would have forever wondered "if only..."

[quote user="Teamedup"][quote user="daisymay"]

Check out Peter Kay on the north south divide ragarding chips

Chips and peas please, don't do peas

chuips and curry sauce, don't do curry sauce

chips and gravy, don't do gravy

ast thou nowt moist?

[/quote]

In the States and Canada they always served chips, well fries with gravy where ever we have been, just seemed so civilised to me.I do think that some french cuisine would be much improved with gravy and the jus or a sauce just doesn't do it on some things.

[/quote]

In the US?  in what states?  I've never seen fries (chips) with gravy here?  I've been know to eat them with a mixture of seafood cocktail sauce (sort of like a spicy ketchup) and sauce tartare in seafood restaurants (it's kind of like the Dutch/Belgian chips and mayonnaise but tastier), but never gravy.  You must have been in one of those boring midwestern states.

[quote user="tenniswitch"]

I'm sure you don't really think that applies to everyone or to every choice.

Having said that, I think I'm the sort of person who is much more likely to regret the things I haven't done.

A few years ago, I chose to do something rather costly that didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped.  I would never recommend that anyone else do the same thing, and yet I don't regret having done it.  I learned a lot from the experience, and it was definitely one of those things that I would have forever wondered "if only..."

[/quote]

Spot on TS, and what a good example too.

Gary.

p.s. for quotations see this