Grumping

bixy

There seems to have been a lot of grumping on the forum lately. Who is the St Malo 1? Why does Cassis have an avatar which says "Hello Miki"? Why won't TU post on the forum again? I'm afraid I don't get on the forum as often as many, so I don't understand any of this.

With only a few days left before the Big Move the reason for my post is just to say a big thank you for all the advice, knowledge and expertise that is so generously given. I have learnt so much, not just from the questions that I have posed myself, but also from the posts of others. The forum really is an amazing resource and to a great extent restores my faith in the generosity and goodwill of most people. Or am I being naive?

Patrick

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="bixy"]There seems to have been a lot of grumping on the forum lately. Who is the St Malo 1? Why does Cassis have an avatar which says "Hello Miki"? Why won't TU post on the forum again? I'm afraid I don't get on the forum as often as many, so I don't understand any of this.

With only a few days left before the Big Move the reason for my post is just to say a big thank you for all the advice, knowledge and expertise that is so generously given. I have learnt so much, not just from the questions that I have posed myself, but also from the posts of others. The forum really is an amazing resource and to a great extent restores my faith in the generosity and goodwill of most people. Or am I being naive?

Patrick
[/quote]IMHO if you stay away from all the off-topic fora and stick to the pratical stuff then I agree, this is a great place for the exchange of useful info' and some of the posters on here are unfailingly generous with their time and knowledge in spite of the same questions being asked repeatedly.  Sometimes things go off topic when all the important stuff has been said then it just gets boring and occasionally descends into an exchange of personal insults which I, for one, could do without.  It's like the curate's egg, good in parts.

And the parts of the forum that we don't like, we are not allowed to criticise in public - there's a feedback forum but feedback is not allowed so there - end of story.  Why this thread (feedback) even exists is a complete mystery to me these days. Grump over.

(I see that "who pulled the plug" has gone, then.  Surprise, surprise.  I'll be next at this rate.)

It's OK if you grump about France, Saus.  I seem to remember a Gore Vidal novel where any licentious words were substituted with seemingly innocent ones (Dick - remember the title?)  I'm thinking of starting this here.  Every time I want to say Forum or Moderator, I shall substitute them with the words France and French. 

I think the French once said that it was against the France code of conduct to talk in code, or use foreign tongues that others in France might not understand.

However, it's okay to post without punctuation etc. even if, as a consequence, no-one can understand the message.

Strange old world, isn't it? [:D]

[quote user="Tresco"]

Bixy, The St Malo 1 is Miki, who has been banned.

TU was fed up with deletions and thread lockings (basically).

[/quote]

Well I totally agree with her.  Unless something is getting close to being illegal or is actually threatening to another member - then we're all adults and can choose to ignore it or not even look at that particular thread.  When the threads get insulting then surely it is because the people involved choose to continue to argue with each other, so only deserve what they get?  As a friend of mine says, the LF forum is  playground stuff compared to some of the fora he reads and contributes to!

This forum is not the place it used to be and the main reasons being the editing, deleting, banning and locking that goes on.  We're all adults but we aren't very often treated like adults.  Perhaps that's why we sometimes revert to childish behaviour?[:P]

Coco, I don't know who does the editing and banning - the moderator I suppose - but it makes for a civilised forum. I often read the readers' comments in the Guardian and I end up asking myself if I really want to share a newspaper with such people. They are often abusive, obsessive, ignorant bores. It is possible to be forthright and vehement without being abusive. Some of the best literature in the English language was written under conditions of tight censorship, and some of our best comedy came from comedians whose scripts didn't consist of the kinds of words that small boys write on lavatory walls. "Loss of liberty is the price we pay for freedom," Alan Bennett has a character say in The History Boys, but when I saw how the second half of the play degenerates, (I saw the stage play, not the film) I think his own irony rebounded on him. Bring back the Lord Chamberlain!

You said "This forum is not the place it used to be and the main reasons being

the editing, deleting, banning and locking that goes on.  We're all

adults but we aren't very often treated like adults. "

And I said "You might think so but the rest of us couldn't possibly comment"

Which was an ironic (alright, puerile) reference to Francis Urquhart's catchphrase and the fact that, according to the T&Cs posted on some other website, we aren't supposed to say that sort of thing...

Hopefully there are not too many people on here who would disagree with the idea that anybody who is rude and abusive should be banned, after a suitable warning, and maybe a short-term ban to start with.  However, this was not the issue here was it?  Being boring, ignorant and obsessive however is another matter.  I can't imagine how anybody would police that, can you?

If being boring, ignorant and obsessive were a banning offence (and if we were talking about Mars rather than this forum) then from what I know about Mars, a number of the Martians might have to fall on their swords.  Part of the problem is that most of the time Mars is not governed by an elected body, nor even by one benevolent dictator with Martian interests at heart, but by a self-elected group which could almost be said to be a *cabal.  So I recall the story, anyway.

* Cabal: a definition

If I pay for something, I have rights but when I do not I have privileges.

Anyone who continues to flout rules, even after spending time in the sin-bin, cannot complain when permanently ejected.

The subject of whether/when/how a forum such as Mars should be run has been done to near death on many previous occasions. IMHO most of the current crop of probs are caused by a "soft" admin in times gone by - but then I always thought Attila (sp?) and Milksnatch were wimps.

John

not

[quote user="cooperlola"]

[/quote](I see that "who pulled the plug" has gone, then.  Surprise, surprise.  I'll be next at this rate.)/quote]

Yes, Was it my Harry (birp) Hill remark[Www] or somthing else that came later?

I did say it was a joke and when I came to edit it this morning  it had vanished without explaination, if it was the latter then why deleat the whole tread?

Last time I had something deleated I received a nice explaination within minuits!

Chipie