Warning for those who want to move to France....

You are getting close to an aspect of French culture not often discussed. The institutionalised collective. Individuals, children or adults don't often think outside the box and are not encouraged too. Expression of opinion and ideas are generally voiced by groups, structures or the hierarchy. Perhaps it goes all the way back to the revolution where individual expression and freedom of thought usually resulted in getting your head chopped off. I do find this aspect of life in France a bit stifling. The French protest at the drop of a hat as a structure or group but dissent is always very staged. Formality and deference is another symptom of institutionalism. There is a lack of spontaneity and warmth in greetings. A French business meeting with a number of participant employees is a bit like knitting fog where input and ideas never happen and everyone defers to the person higher up the scale.   

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These things happen in France too you know. Any given weekend in say Toulouse or Marseilles produces stabbings and their consequences. However because much of the French press is regional it never gets into the national media unless truly remarkable, as when a train in the south of France was steamed last year or when main centres are involved such as the Gare du Nord recently.

Yes, indeed.

In our local paper last week there were reports of  two incidents which had come to court. In the first someone had been attempting to break into a shop on the equivalent of High Street. The police arrived and the man first threw the security grill which he'd already removed from the window, and then shot at, the policeman who'd arrived to investigate. Fortunately the policeman wasn't badly hurt.

In the second incident, two inspectors had called to check on some labourers who were picking plums last year. The farmer shot both the inspectors dead and than turned the gun on himself, causing a slight injury to his chin.

Somehow though, what's happening with these young men who seem to carry knives and use them so easily, seems worse.

Hoddy

How about the chap sentenced a few weeks ago for - yes - ripping out his wife's eyes....

Re violent crime, I get the impression that our local press seem to report a lot of crime within families too. The usual thing is a man who has taken his gun, killed his wife and kids and then shot himself.

Marym2, it's all horrible but if you can find me a country where these horrid things don't happen, I'll join you there. I don't live in one of those countries; I live in France. When you put links as you did above, you give the impression that you think none of that happens here. Do you read your local regional papers much?[8-)]

[quote user="LanguedocGal"]

How about the chap sentenced a few weeks ago for - yes - ripping out his wife's eyes....

Re violent crime, I get the impression that our local press seem to report a lot of crime within families too. The usual thing is a man who has taken his gun, killed his wife and kids and then shot himself.

Marym2, it's all horrible but if you can find me a country where these horrid things don't happen, I'll join you there. I don't live in one of those countries; I live in France. When you put links as you did above, you give the impression that you think none of that happens here. Do you read your local regional papers much?[8-)]

[/quote]

On that point no,the local council has slashed the budget for languages so I have a hard time reading the locals. I too would like to live in those countries, but as you pointed out you live in France, which we intend to live far away from everday events that happen here.

[quote user="Monika"]

I too have recently been considering this aspect of my life in France.   Many French people have told me that superficial friendliness is typical of the South, and people will be all over you at first, but just out of nosiness (or curiosity, that sounds less harsh!).   Once they know what they want to know, you won't see them again.

My english sister in law who lives in Canada complains about exactly the same thing, that all friendships with Canadiens are superficial and a friend of mine (also english) says exactly the same thing about the Americans. 

[/quote]

I can say the same for living in Wales... I wouldn't say it is a place that I would have chosen as a No1 must-place to live in, I just didn't have a choice on this subject. After 25+ years I have not got very much to show for it in terms of firm friends that would be there should I fall on hard time. It is mostly daily acquaintances. As to the language!... You think you have problem with mastering French!

Doesn't matter where in the world you live, you will have this problem of one day finding that the world doesn't come up to what you thought would be a 'new' challenging hunky-dory start/renewal.  Life is what you make of it.... so I am repeatedly told by my MIL! ... 

Pour moi cette maxime : Ne jamais plaindre un verre à moitié vide, mais vider le verre à moitié plein est celle que j'adopte!                    and boy! is life a laugh when you have this concept fixed in your head [:D]    

'Enjoy Purgatory! Heaven is so dull!' that's from one of my children.....