Webcam: keeping in touch with family

I have noticed many members use a webcam to keep in touch with family overseas. When we move (later this year) we want to do the same to keep in touch with family in UK.

Any suggestions on which is the best type of equipment for this type of contact?

We've been very pleased with this one by Logitech: http://www2.grosbill.com/fr/peripheriques/webcam/48843/LOGITECH-

as you can see it's only 15,90€ and msn messenger compatible - it's easy to install and just sits on your monitor in front of you - and in fact I bought a second one for my daughter to use with her laptop - just for info: GrosBill are one of the largest suppliers of PC's and computer parts in France and are owned by Auchan so they do have an after sales policy as well :)

Hope that helps.

Any USB webcam will be fine for MSN or Skype. The better the resolution on the webcam the more bandwidth it will use and with a slow broadband connection this can make the call poor quality.

Look into the TV, internet, PC area and you will get more information.

If you can afford a Mac at both ends they have a high resolution integrated camera (iSight) and you can connect using iChatAV which is superb quality. Obviously bandwidth (broadband speed if you like) will be an issue but I have used both PC webcams and Mac's with iSight and the latter have proved greatly superior, the PC versions being blocky and with a delay between the audio and video, even on the same internet connection.