Are There Too Many English In Our Hamlet !

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To reply to your question in the heading

YES!

Counting the Irish family, four too many in a small hamlet.

Even in a village of 100 houses any more than one English family would still be too many, but I accept that you cannot have 1/10th of a family.

But exactly how much money will be "pumped into their economy"?

The proceeds from the house sale will disappear to another location, tax income for the commune is very small and it is likely that little of value is bought within the commune. I don't think that there is much added-value for a commune when retired British come to it. The real added value is provided by the young French people who work in England - and it is the UK that earns it.

There have been instances where communes have resisted house sales to British incomers, and I believe the commune may have a right to buy property if it so wishes.

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

The proceeds from the house sale will disappear to another location, tax income for the commune is very small and it is likely that little of value is bought within the commune. I don't think that there is much added-value for a commune when retired British come to it. The real added value is provided by the young French people who work in England - and it is the UK that earns it.

There have been instances where communes have resisted house sales to British incomers, and I believe the commune may have a right to buy property if it so wishes.

[/quote]

Where would that be then?

Clark, I sort of take your point.  However, we pump thousands of pounds in pension income into France every year.  We pay our local and income taxes, and contribute towards health care.  We also pay French insurance  companies, French artisans, French electricity/phone/internet companies etc.  We don't take jobs from the locals, all we do is spend our money (19% odd tva each time).  I think we probably make quite a contribution to the French economy in our way and still have 2 years before we can vote here. This excludes the £70,000 or so we paid for our house.

Nevertheless, I would be very disappointed to find that 50% of the people in our village were non-French.  I kind of wanted to retire to France, not little Britain, but that's just me.

What makes you think that retired English will purchase this run down property? This property will require a lot of work, requiring goods and services, it also has no foss, it will certainly generate work, work, & more work (pumping) money into the local diy & building merchants, and of course if it is renovated & altered, a building tax will be payable, I know that a percentage goes to the local because we were stung for 2300 euro for just this.

[quote user="Dotty "][quote user="Clarkkent"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I believe that some coastal resorts in Normandy have tried to prevent sales of appartments to British buyers. It would be useful to have confirmation.

[quote user="Clarkkent"][quote user="Dotty "][quote user="Clarkkent"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I believe that some coastal resorts in Normandy have tried to prevent sales of appartments to British buyers. It would be useful to have confirmation.

[/quote]

So where do you get your beliefs from?  I'm genuinely interested.

Come on, we all know it's not legal to restrict the sale of a property, if a Brit or anyone else offers the asking price it's a done deal. The maire of Melle tried this one on and it was deemed illegal.

Personally I can't see that it matters how many Brits, Dutch, Belgians, Germans or who ever own houses in any given hamlet, but then I used to live in a very culturally mixed part of London for some time, I can't wait for the Asians to start moving in,that will shake things up a bit.

Chris

Honfleur at one time refused to register any more house purchases if the new owners were not there most of the year (source newspaper or magazine a few years ago). Frankly I even flee the local supermarket car park if I see too many Brit number plates. Any village that turns into an empty shell except at holiday time would be quite right to object to too many second homes. And most Brits are second homers aren't they?

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Because, I suspect, that it would upset the French who are not wholeheartedly in support of multiculturalism, and possibly many of the English who have travelled to rural France for much the same reason.

Just a suggestion, just guessing...

[/quote]

i suspect your right dick.

I also find it quite amazing how so many here seem to be unaware that they are part of the 'problem' they are rallying against. You lot are NOT expats in France, you are IMMIGRANTS!! If there are too many brits in your hamlet, field, whatever, why don't YOU move out instead of dreaming that others should be restricted from buying there.

PS: Not a go at you dick, just happens i am replying in part to your post

An ex-pat is someone who intends to return to their country of origin, whereas an immigrant is someone who intends to stay to stay in the country they have arrived at.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Other people seem to have a different take on it.