Where have all the poppies gone?

I don't think wild poppy seeds ever get too old, they hang around for hundreds of years lying dormant until they get scuffed just under the surface or brought up nearer the surface. I suppose that there has been a steady reduction actually growing in wheat fields due to herbicides, corn cockle's the same.

Chris

They grow on the verges as a result of the machinery used for the cutting which is just a "little bit" rougher than a lawn mower and ditching work and it is exactly why the WW1 fields were covered in them as a result of the continual shelling. 

Chris 

[quote user="Will "]Don't wish to be awkward, Patrick, but that was Pete Seeger not Bob Dylan [:P] Don't you just love a pedant?[/quote]

You're probably right - but how am I supposed to remember?  It was the sixties, right?

Peace & love, man

Patrick

• 1 year later...

[quote user="TWINKLE"]I'll try to get this old thread back on track by saying that there are a lot more poppies this year (coquelicots) than the last two years in my area.[/quote]

They've been blooming like crazy in our garden for the last week or so (we are very selective in our weeding).

There have been loads of poppies around backwoods Herault.  Less herbicide.  Old-fashioned ways.  But of course you all know that the poppy was the symbol of the campaign of Jose Bove, for reasons outlined already on this thread.  A healthy agriculture produces poppies all over the place.  So fragile, yet they survive.  It is impossible to see a field of poppies and not smile.  Everyone loves poppies. 

A few years ago near Lewes,  a farmer stopped using herbicides and his wheat field was a mass of poppies.  People came from all over the place to see and photograph them, so many in fact,  that there were quite a few traffic problems.  Unfortunately that seemed to put the farmer off, and we have never seen  poppies in that particular field since.

At the moment, the ox-eye daisies are blooming all along the main roads, especially in the central reservation.  They are a beautiful sight and hopefully the silly ******* who "mow" the verges and central reservations will not cut them down until they have had a chance to seed.

Maybe we might ask our communes to leave the cutting of some verges until a bit later in order to let the flowers display and drop seed. That is of course where there there are no road safety issues involved. I've asked mine and they are not unreceptive to the idea.