Your thoughts on the election

Following on from some of the discussions already taking place on this site, French Property News magazine is interested to hear what you think about the recent election result, as we'd like to publish some of your thoughts in our next issue, as a follow-up news story.

Could you take a few moments to answer the following questions so we can get a sense of the general response to the news.

Please start by giving your username/first name and explain if you are:

• permanently resident in France
  • a second-homeowner
  • considering buying a home there
  • happy just holidaying there

Next, please let us know the following:

• If you did vote, or could have voted, would you have elected:
    • Sarkozy
    • Royal

• Why would you vote for either of these candidates?
  • Will Sarkozy have a positive or negative impact on France during his presidency?
  • How, if at all, will/has his election affect(ed) your views towards France?
  • If you are considering buying a home in France, has his election caused you to change your mind?
  • If you live in France currently, has his election caused you to consider leaving the country?

Thanks for taking the time to complete this questionnaire. You can PM the answers to me or post your answers in this thread, whichever you feel most comfortable with.

Best wishes,

Lucy-Jane Cypher
French Property News

www.french-property-news.com

Please start by giving your username: laterdude /first name: John and explain if you are:

permanently resident in France – no the UK

• a second-homeowner - no
  • considering buying a home there – yes
  • happy just holidaying there

Next, please let us know the following:

• If you did vote, or could have voted, would you have elected:  If I could I would have voted for Sarkozy

Why would you vote for either of these candidates?   France needs some changes and he is the man to implement them. 

• Will Sarkozy have a positive or negative impact on France during his presidency?  It will go “pear-shaped” for a while and then things will get much much better.
  • How, if at all, will/has his election affect(ed) your views towards France?   It gives me hope that it has some chance of pulling itself out of the mire and that there is a future for this magnificent country.  France’s economy is in such bad shape.  It needs some serious work to be made viable and sustainable. An example:   It is almost impossible to run a small business in France and make a success of it.  Small business provides work for a significant part of the workforce in most western economies and generates a lot of tax revenue.    Some of the proposals put forward by Sarkozy will make it more attractive to work and less of a financial burden to employ people – especially for small businesses.
  • If you are considering buying a home in France, has his election caused you to change your mind?  If Royal had won, there is absolutely no way I would by a house to live in France.  Now I’m for it, but not without serious reservations; mainly to do with whether or not Sarky can do what he says he's going to do and secondly there will be a period of pain which probably won't be much fun for anyone.