Are we going to have a summer in SW?

We were in the Gers over Whitsun, and the weather was truly appalling.  In fact the locals in our hamlet (average age 106) all said that they have never seen rain like it.  Lots of crops have been washed away and acres and acres of vines have been destroyed.  We are due back at the end of June for 2 weeks, and I keep looking at all the weather sites, and they are still predicting thunder storms, and showers for the next 10 days.  Is it ever going to end?  Is it really that bad in SW France at the moment?

We had Whit in southern 87, on the borders of 24. Some neighbours are constructing a pool, and are a month behind due to bad weather. While we were there the temperature was around 13 degrees, and it rained every day. Some days only showers, mind, but some days, all day.

Meanwhile, back in the UK: sunshine and warm, at least, once the bank holiday was over.

Ceertainly, on the return journey, we lost the cloud and rain north of Chateauroux.

It certainly is in the Vienne. We've been trying to get the haymaking done for two weeks now.Farmer  In the end we cut it on Monday, bailed it damp on Wednesday and most of it is still in the fields, stacked to dry (thats a laugh). Whether we can save it, who knows but I predict that hay prices this winter are going to be very high.

Lightning 

[quote user="ChezTinns"] Is it really that bad in SW France at the moment?[/quote]

Yes. We've had incrediable storms over the past week or so.  Though it has been quite warm, hence the storms, the sunshine has been variable. Certainly unusual weather for the time of year, I hope it'll pick up soon - I gather there is 30 degree sunshine forecast in a few days time.

It has been so bad in the south that one of my BIL hgv's got struck by lightening last month whilst en route up from near the Pyrenees and did £4500 worth of damage to the computer and hydraulic systems. It was the first time he had ever heard of a lorry being struck and he's been driving them for 25 years. Perhaps all the english beer on board attracted it

It has been hot here in Lot, just north of Cahors, but very, very, stormy.  Many fields with maize just growing are now seas of mud. I always unplug my computer at the first sign of electric storms, I don't know if this is necessary.  My satellite dish won't work in heavy rain or even thick cloud and it always seems to go off just at the crucial part of a programme. 

Our pool is opened, but as it is unheated it is taking a long time to warm up because of all the rain.  MY walks are also more restricted as the paths through the woods are very muddy and there are several small landslips blocking paths.  Our gravel drives are now half way down the hill. The forecast on Meteo is for still more rain.

My daughter lives in East Yorkshire and had a small flood yesterday because the local drains could not cope with the torrential rain - three inches overnight.   AND it is only 12 degrees there, so I am not complaining to her about warm, wet, Lot!

At least there may be no water restrictions?

Here in the Charente Maritime, (apparently the second sunniest region of France) we have had appalling weather too.

The May was grim, and June is not being much better.

It can only get better, can't it?

Ha..........the local French were saying this when we were over at Whit, farmers, cafe owner, neighbours, shop owners. All were wrong.

It's just the same here in the UK, 50 mm of rain in two days, my lad is doing some welding for someone this weekend and having to dodge showers as it's outside with an arc-welder.