Early print newspaper of Diana crash, worth anything?

[quote user="ChezShells"]

Hi

Having a sort out whilst packing for moving house and we have a newspaper of the Diana accident with the headline

Dodi dead Diana injured

Do these have any value?

Cheers

Lee

[/quote]

That the remnants of a human life comes down to the phrase "Do these have any value"  is a sad reflection on the times we live in - do you have no shame/idea of what you are saying?

[quote user="Paysages de France"][quote user="ChezShells"]

Hi

Having a sort out whilst packing for moving house and we have a newspaper of the Diana accident with the headline

Dodi dead Diana injured

Do these have any value?

Cheers
Lee

[/quote]

That the remnants of a human life comes down to the phrase "Do these have any value"  is a sad reflection on the times we live in - do you have no shame/idea of what you are saying?
[/quote]

Explain why I should

I was willing to do 6 hours unpaid overtime to print that after doing a 12 hour shift.
Does that cancel out my shame?
If i'd had the option prior to the crash - Diana has a crash and you get 6 hours overtime or she doesn't and you dont get any overtime.
Hmm, a difficult one that!!

The Diana concert, did anyone at all get paid?
The Diana memorial fountain, did the builders so it for nothing?
Does an animal die to feed your belly?
Do you read newspapers?
Do you use airplanes as a form of transport?

I could go on.

So, you would say no to a Dickens misprint?

Also Paysages de France, I have yet to see a post of yours that isn't a moan

You are speculating , and hoping to make a quick  profit, on the death of a human being.

I think that you've had  (perhaps unknowingly) your mind and spirit polluted by the British press to an extent that your human qualities take a backseat, whilst your baser instincts of profit and gain (encouraged by the society we live in and have fabricated) take over.

So, everything can be bought sold or traded, it all comes down to that?

Personally, without claiming to be perfect, I reject that concept of our  existence on this planet.

There is a word that covers this type of thing and it is' memorabilia'. It is a well established niche in the collectibles trade and some of these items from the past have been of help to historians.

There are papers reporting the sinking of the Titanic, where do you draw the line? What about autographs for example?

So, making a quick profit from the death of an individual is the result of modern society and the British press? 

Ancient religious relics have been traded for centuries - John Calvin famously remarked that there were enough pieces of the True Cross to build a ship.  If this forum was taking place in the Middle Ages, then I expect the Catholic church would be posting here in support of that concept our existence on this planet.....[8-)]

Dodi dead Diana injured

Do these have any value?

"A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing" (Oscar Wilde)

Define value!!

Try and flog it on e-bay. Like everything else it has a value. And don't worry about the moralists. Just remember that something over 150 Iraquis were killed yesterday by a truck bomb and Mrs. Jones bought some new knickers. We cannot control what happens around us. Diana was a personal tragedy for her and her family. She was also the victim of a hell of a lot of other people. After all the 'people's princess' stuff was just hype.

The death of the planet is much more important.

[quote user="Paysages de France"] You are speculating , and hoping to make a quick  profit, on the death of a human being.
 I think that you've had  (perhaps unknowingly) your mind and spirit polluted by the British press to an extent that your human qualities take a backseat, whilst your baser instincts of profit and gain (encouraged by the society we live in and have fabricated) take over.
        So, everything can be bought sold or traded, it all comes down to that?
 Personally, without claiming to be perfect, I reject that concept of our  existence on this planet.
[/quote]

P de Biggin Hill

You have posted some utter crap on here, but the above takes the biscuit, what are you on???? 

All the bloke wanted to know was whether a newspaper recording a momentous time in recent history was worth anything, in the same way that copies of the Times would be of value for the sinking of the Titanic and you launch into a tirrade of abuse and the usual ill informed opinion.  Get a life man before it is too late.

Like your piece "Personally, without claiming to be perfect, I reject that concept "  I think for once we would all agree with you and add, " far from it my friend, far from it".[kiss]

Diana is merely a very very minor footnote in a very minor history. So don' worry.

Maybe we could also remember that 150 (at least) Iraquis died in a bombing yesterday. Plus British soldiers. All for the sake of superstition and imagination.

None of us will ever know their names or the lives of the at least thousand people thrown into hell by this act.

And how many children did nutter GW kill or condemn to death yesterday.

[quote user="trumpet"]

Chez.

Excuse me for asking, maybe I have missed something here.....what did you print?

Anyway I am with the opinion of the nanaman....ebay.

[/quote]

I printed the papers (or part of the process), that's what i used to do before we came here, but I was on shift at the time we got word of the accident.

I bought a copy of the book showing the dresses she was putting for auction.

At the time, my niece was in a "princess" phase and I wanted to surprise her for her birthday.

My niece is now in a tomboy phase (has been for a few years actually!) and she still has the book. She is planning to sell it to fund a trip to New Caledonia...

Chez - don't rise to the bait. You would be exploiting no-one, and maybe someone would take pleasure in owning something which means little to you. Maybe even comfort, though I don't see it myself. Ebay the thing and spend the money (which I doubt will be much) on a beer and toast Diana when you drink it!

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Chez - don't rise to the bait. You would be exploiting no-one, and maybe someone would take pleasure in owning something which means little to you. Maybe even comfort, though I don't see it myself. Ebay the thing and spend the money (which I doubt will be much) on a beer and toast Diana when you drink it!

[/quote]

Toasting Diana with a beer? 

There was a girl's band that used to sing "Whisky makes you frisky and gin makes you sin , brandy makes you randy and rum makes you.............."  but I do believe that Diana preferred champagne.

I doubt I would sell em anyway, £100 (WHAT!!) does nothing for me let alone enough for a pint, nice to know that at least some of the rubbish I have has some value

That day was a sad day for a lot of people,
roughly 3000 working overtime, a strange atmosphere that night.

Russethouse - can't remember, probably anything upto 100k in our plant alone (Indy, Mirror and People), it was a really strange night, all presses stopped, silence for ages, word got round then the press plates got changed, presses started again, then stopped, carried on like this from 2am until mid afternoon next day.