the cost of wood

Luckily we don't have to buy timber because we have a wood at the back of our place and we also have central hyeating, the insert is purely for show now.

And I've got about 8 sq m of timber from where we had the trees thinned, perhaps more, been cut 18 months, that I can't even give away - so many people 'really could do with it' and then they never turn up to take it.

It's a bit of a carry from the piles of wood to where we park the cars (about 25 meters) so perhaps that's put people off but if it don't go soon, I'm going to burn the lot over the winter on a bonfire!!!!! 

[quote user="Nearly Retired"]I'm near St Jean D'Angely in 17 and could do with a couple of cubic metres. I've never bought fire wood before. Does anyone know where I might find a local supplier ?[/quote]

Yellow Pages, local paper, ask the neighbours - bois de chauffage.

John

not

How much do you get through in a year?

I had a supply here and never measured how much I used - and now it's all gone so I need to buy some in for this winter (late I know!) and next winter.

How much, very roughtly, is average for a farmhouse?

One factor which no one has raised on this subject is the type of wood. I am no expert, but have been burning wood for many years.

There is a huge difference in the burning qualities of different woods.

As an example in our area Chataigner or sweet chestnut is very popular, but not suitable for open fires as it spits a lot, it is also quite fast burning so difficult to keep in overnight. Cost should be 30 to 40 euros a cube, 1m length delivered.

Chene or oak is more expensive because it is slower burning and does not spit, so great for open fires and stoves. Cost should be 45 to 50 euros a cube, 1m length, delivered

Avoid Poplar or Peuplier as it burns very fast and smell awful.

Also try and avoid any softwoods as they contain too much resin which will coat the lining of the chimney very easily and may cause a fire in the chimney.

Make sure that what you get has been seasoned foir at least 2 years.

Finding a good supplier seems to be quite a hard job.

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]Our first winter in France we got through 7 cubic metres. By the end of it I finally worked out what we were doing wrong and the second winter we only used just under 2 cubic metres.[:)][/quote]

Can I ask what were you doing wrong?[:)]

Jackie

[quote user="Chipie"]

[quote user="LyndaandRichard"]Our first winter in France we got through 7 cubic metres. By the end of it I finally worked out what we were doing wrong and the second winter we only used just under 2 cubic metres.[:)][/quote]

Can I ask what were you doing wrong?[:)]

Jackie

[/quote]

Um.. I had the flu (sp) fully open as well as the air intake, so consequently too much oxygen and we got through so much wood. Thought it was right (you hear these things about roaring fires etc), but one day I closed everything off and discovered that the wood not only lasted longer but pushed more heat out too[:$] Well, we are from Queensland, not too much call for heating out there. Last winter was much more efficient.

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]

if it don't go soon, I'm going to burn the lot over the winter on a bonfire!!!!! 

[/quote]DON'T DO IT [:-))]

1. I need firewood.

2. I'm only about 50km from St Cyprien (nr Prayssac, Lot valley).

3. I have a BIG box trailer (8 cu/m).

4. I don't mind walking 25m (or at least the wife won't [;-)]) !

5. I have effectively unlimited dry storage (300 sq/m hangar), was that 8 sq/m or 8 cu/m ?

6. I don't make promise I don't keep.

I'll be around from the 27th so if you want to reduce your pile I could be yer man. Shame to see it go up in smoke......[:D][:D][:D]

How many steres in a corde please? 

I have been a bit concerned at the increasing rises in the price of the wood that we get.  We were first charged 130 euros a corde in Sept 2005, 150 euros in Feb 2006 and 180 euros a corde in Sept 2006.  We buy two/three cordes for one insert, we have quite cold weather from November to March.   They do have to make two trips with each corde, but the supply is only five minutes away. 

Have you all seen similar price rises?  Makes me wonder how much it will be this year.

I have also noticed similar price rises in our area over the past four years.

I believe that one of the factors is that less people are doing firewood, I know of a least three local farmers who have retired from doing it, stating that there is not much money in it for the effort, and they find it difficult to get staff to do the work.

Our cost for firewood went up hugely also during the course of last year, until we were paying 50 euros a stere for un melange, because they never seemed to have oak left when we asked for it (which was even more expensive).   To add insult to injury, on the last delivery they doubled the delivery charge to something like 50 euros, and would only deliver 4 steres at a time.   Hence our wood for last year went way over our budget.   We ended up using around 12 steres in a small house, one large open plan living/dining, and one upstairs bedroom.   We do use wood for the kitchen also though (as well as the woodburner in lounge).

This year we have around 4 steres of our own wood, and found out that a local farmer can supply us with 8 steres of oak (which we already have nicely piled up), at 37 euros a stere, delivery free, and even a bit of help with unloading.    Bargain.   Pays to ask around the neighbours if you are in a farming type community thats for sure.    Don't suppose your local farmer will present you with a bill though, or take a cheque, so depends how strongly you feel about these things as to whether you are willing to effectively buy wood on the black.   We do (as far as I am aware anyway) everything here exactly as we are supposed to, in terms of giving what little we have to the government for our taxes, etc etc, and whilst my general philosophy in life is 'be honest and pay your taxes' I am afraid on this occasion I gladly paid the money for the wood, with no invoice.

Hi folks

Blimey, what people will do and how far they will travel .............. here's the deal as I now have five people asking for the wood.

It's more than 7m cube, could be 9 when heights of the stacks are adjusted - that's 7/8 meters stacked length and an average of  over 1 m high and each piece is plus or minus 1m long.  There may be as much as 9/10 cubic meters of wood and it's all oak.

Having read the messages in this thread OH reckons that's worth a few euros and so do I having seen the prices people are being charged.

I don't want the market price but email me privately if you wish to make an offer.