SECURITY

Baz

Whilst I am not paranoid about withholding information about myself, I always make sure that I decide who gleans details about myself. It is amazing how much possible unintentional information about individual posters is innocently divulge in posts on a forum. I have noticed that more and more people are posting their own websites with personal information, addresses and phone numbers and just wondered if this produces either desirable enquiries or any unpleasant communications.

From a mod's point of view, we edit any tel numbers posted on the forum when we see them and add a request to contact the poster by email or PM via the forum for further details.

As for websites, several of the web listings I advertise with demand a tel number within the listing, so the info is usually available in adverts... I know that potential French clients usually call, where other nationals will email. I am aware of it and I really don't know how else to go about it.

I don't offer directions to the property until the payment has arrived and I know the enquiry is serious, but it must be more of a worry when the owner is not on site...

We promote ourselves within forum rules thereby hoping that people will visit our site and generate income for us one way or another. As we expect sites with which we do business to include more than just an e-mail address and/or mobile phone number various contact details are shown on our own site - I guess we cannot have our cake and eat it as regards privacy issues - but AFAIK we have not received any unpleasant communications as a result. The desirability of such action though may be questionable for private rather than pseudo-business posters.

Is this what you meant or have i missed the point again ?

John

not

Clair and John you both have hit the point on the head. With Identity theft and other crimes seeming to becoming more prevalent  at the current time, it occurred to me that by posting information about oneself on an open forum may be unwise. For example people mention that they are leaving their properties as a side issue to their postings and then leave their web information giving all their details. There are also more implications which would not be appropriate to discuss here and I was just interested in posters opinions for the security of everyone.

Baz

Baz, in my naivite and general trustfulness, I have not thought about this problem.  However, your post has got me thinking and I do feel that being a tad careful of what you do reveal about yourself is no bad thing.

A timely observation and I know that it is one from which I will benefit.

This is a good point for everyone to consider.It is difficult however for people like myself who promote websites. It is a fact that the search engines like websites to have full contact details.Its to help sort the anon traders from the legit. Lets face it if you see an advert asking for money with no address you wont send money. So the search engines like to see full contact details.If you are not selling anything however I think the forum overseers should remove all addresses and warn people on the forum sign up form to give nothing but region and email addresses.

While on the subject of security the question of data stored in sat navs has recently been raised again.  The advice is not to store your actual home address but something like your home town.  Or maybe the local police station/gendarme barracks!....or your next door neighbour's address if you don't like them![6]

Here is a previous article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=430372&in_page_id=1770&ct=5

I joined a new French forum the other day and was looking down the membership list to see if I recognised anyone.  One of the members posted a link to his blog which gave all details of his French renovation project, including a detailed map of its location, a floor plan of each floor and descriptions of work in progress, with implications for tools and equipment on site.  It also indicated when he visited, and by implication when he was not there.

This seems a gift to anyone who may be interested in acquiring some materials, tools and equipment.

He didn't even have the excuse of being a B & B business, needing to give info to prospective clients.

It seems basic common sense to me to never disclose any person information about yourself on a public forum. There are many forms of predator in the world quietly waiting for a mug to pass in their sights. Humans prey on others. Just engage your brain before doing anything that involves your personal identity. I am always astonished how easily people part with sensitive information to people they know very little about.