Johnny Onions

They are still doing it in Cardiff.

However they are not the romantic figures cycling all the way from Brittany that some people imagine ( were they ever). 

The whole thing is run by a major french business who import the onions from Brittany in bulk and store them in South wales. The business then hires local french students to distribute them round the houses  and sell them in the streets. Bicycles are supplied by the firm - believe they bought a whole bunch from the Post Office.

The onions were bloody good though - if somewhat dearer than Tesco.

rgds

Hagar

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Has any one got any memories of the Johnny Onions who used to come over to the UK from Brittany and cycle around selling strings of onions ?

[/quote]

In Glasgow in the fifties we called them Onion Johnny and as an inquisitive 5 year old I wondered if it was worth their while cycling all the way from France with two bags of onions!

Untill a couple of years ago an "Onion Johnny" used to have a load delivered to a  store by a pub in Poole. He then used to cycle around the wealthier areas of Sandbanks/Canford Cliffs/Lilliput complete with the striped jumper and berret. Before you ask I lived at the rough end.No money=no onions.

I did actually suggest to my good lady that as we knew the farmer at Cherruiex who grows onions and garlic,it might be an interesting summer job.It was on a par with her idea about starting the Rag and Bone business. Funny what thoughts occur on dull winters evenings!!

Regards.

The book I have is 'The Last of the Onion Men' same author.

I think the reason there were so many Onion Men in Wales was that the Welsh language was in more common use when they started selling in the Uk and the Breton speakers recognised the common aspects of  and felt at home there. I'll let you know when I have read more......

• 2 weeks later...

I have got the book 'Goodbye Johnny Onions'.  The story is a bit haphazard and doesn't flow very well but, as I was born in Penarth, just outside Cardiff, it was of particular interest  to me.  I do remember the onion men coming round on their bikes wearing their berets and my mother thought the onions were superb.  I didn't realise just how hard a life they led until I read the book.

Sue