Non-Catholic church in Aquitaine or Midi-Prenees

Solong

I am looking to move over to France in the next year or so and am very keen to be within the 'catchement' area of an English-speaking (non-Roman Catholic) church or house-church. The availability of a church will have a big influence on where I buy my house but my preferred search area is departments 24 and 47 in the Aquitaine and 32 and 82 in Midi-Pyrenees - could even be persuaded to venture up into the Limousin! Can anyone advise on the availability of churches in these areas.

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]

By non-Catholic, do you mean Anglican, Protestante (French Calvinist) or non-Conformist?

I have contact details for all three in 24 and if you could say which part of 'non-Catholic' it is you're looking for I can better suggest who you might speak to.

[/quote]

Unlikely to be any further response  from the original poster until monday as sunday is a "day of rest"

Hi from Chrissie - I found

"The Electronic Directory of French Evangelical Churches"

(L’Annuaire Électronique des Ã‰glises Évangéliques de France) - (french translation) website  and

"France Mission" website helpful in finding out where different types of evangelical churches are based - hope this helps!

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]Though of course 'non-Catholic' church could mean synagogue or mosque (as the Anglican Church is still Catholic and Apostolic) so that would have ruled out Saturday and Friday respectively. [/quote]

The expression  "non-catholic"  in Scotland , is an adjective mainly used by Catholics to describe or enlighten family / friends, to prevent offence to prospective Protestant suitors and more commonly  to describe churches / schools.etc.

Usually only uttered between Catholics.

Do not forget that the word 'catholic' means 'universal'. The word 'catholic' is found throughout the Church of Ireland service book. 'Roman Catholic' is a different thing altogether and I suspect this is what the original poster was referring to.

I am RC and attended C of I services in Northern Ireland and the word 'catholic' is right through the service. It does not refer to Rome and the word 'catholic' refers to no particular religion. It is an adjective.

Any religion that is not RC, except Judaism,  is considered Protestant.

That was a very helpful link, thank you.

For those who were asking, by non-catholic I was really meaning Christian, non-Roman Catholic. I lean towards charismatic, evangelical groups and have no interest in RC, Muslim, Hindu, Buddist or any other religion (NO, I do not want to start a thread discussing the relative merits of these!). However, I have found many of the replies illuminating. Thank you to all of you. Steve

Steve, you should also be aware that the Aquitaine area is one of the least religious regions in France and when the State and Church split at the beginning of the 20th century, the Dordogne and surrounding areas implemented the split quite ruthlessly.  The area has the highest incidence of Grand Orient and other secular - non or even anti religious - Masonic Lodges in France.  In the recent elections many of the local constituencies locally voted for left of centre candidates including communists.

The majority religion here remains Catholic though dwindling, Protestantisme is regarded as a culte or minority interest and is away from the main stream (as is Judaism and Islam) - the type of Church you are seeking is very rare here.

If you have children of school age and you wish to practice your beliefs in a school setting, you will need to find a private school, usually associated with a church.  There are no Anglican church schools in Aquitaine tho there may be a couple of Calvinist/Protestante schools linked to the Eglise Reformee - and the interdictions against religion being taught in State schools and the wearing of religious symbols in State schools are strictly enforced.

If you are already involved with this form of worship, I would have thought an enquiry with the Evangelical Alliance or something similar would be the better place to start.