A more widespread addiction

Chancer

We have had some brave people on here baring their souls to describe their battles against tobacco and alcohol addiction, they have inspired others including me to look inwards and try to deal with our own.

For my part it was only when I tried to give up alcohol (after an alcohol induced accident) and found it nearly impossible that I was forced to accept that I was indeed addicted, I have it under control now (I hope) and the stories of others helped me a lot.

During this period I also realised I had another addiction when I was deprived of my favorite fix whilst in hospital so I determined to tackle this also on my discharge, little did I realise that it was to prove harder than tackling my alcohol problem, I was unable to cut down and have had to painfully give up for ever.

This addiction is widespread, I would guess that most readers of this forum are as addicted and unable to give up as I was, it doesnt get the same publicity as it does not give you health problems, reduce your life expectancy and in most cases does not affect your close family as they are more than likely addicted also.

What I can tell you is that after a period of cold turkey I can honestly say that life is much more enjoyable and fruitfull without this habit which hampers and hinders other relationships and day to day interactions (other than with the family).

I am talking about watching UK Tv whilst living in France!

My story:

Just over 4 months ago after my accident I had a series of operations in a French hospital, during those periods I was only able to speak French, I was deprived of this forum (another addiction, but one at a time!) and watched a lot of French television which I found to be very good, I was able to use sub titles for a lot of the programs which helped a lot, my spoken French improved dramatically as well as my knowledge of local and national issues.

After the first discharge I had to stop work to allow the eye surgery to recover and asked a friend to swing my parabole to get the French analogue channels and thus deprive me of the temptation to watch UK Sky TV. After that I suffered several more detached retinas, each time as soon as the pain had worn off and the vision returned, and I was readmitted to hospital twice again. Looking on the positive side it gave me the opportunity to speak a lot more French than while recovering at home and I was really able to see the improvement compared to the previous stays.

My setback came when I suffered yet another retinal detachment but this time while in England, I was in and out of hospital very quick but had to stay in England for a month before being able to travel back here, whilst I didnt have Sky I did have the four main channels to keep me company but they were doing more harm than good and I was also missing France a lot (homesick, or I think "mal de pays" is more apt!).

When I returned I was weakened, I told myself that it wouldn't really hurt to retune for the Sky receiver, and I could always get French TV through ADSL etc. This self denial might ring a bell with other addicts, it was like saying "oh I will drink/smoke again but this time be in control" I had also found it very difficult to regain my confidence speaking in French and I had lost a lot of the new vocabulary.Whether by luck or as I prefer to think divine intervention, the Grundig satellite receiver had finally given up the ghost so I could not submit to my weakness.

4 months down the line and life has never been better, I have no more cravings for UK TV, I have only spoken English once while visiting a nearby family, the rest of the time (apart from this forum) I listen to, read, speak and think in French. I am confident and can converse freely in all situations, and acheived my toughest challenge by having wooed and won the affection of a beautiful French girl who speaks no English. I ought to add that this was achieved verbally as I am no oil painting and considerably older than her.

In the past I would have jokingly said "I would give my right eye to be in that situation" it actually turned out to the left one and I have no regrets!

So is anyone else ready to accept that they are being held back by the comfort of UK telly? Are they willing to take the necessary action? Has anyone already done so and recognises any of the benefits or hardships?

Well your French seems to be pretty good despite your covert habit Coops! Out of interest how good is your husbands French?

I believe that it is usually the women that learn better, being more motivated to communicate than most of us men[:)] Would you agree?

I speak French like a native when I wish, JR and my first spouse was a native speaker so I had little choice. It is all down to motivation. Crudely put, if you are hungry you will speak. But (dog on lap here) it is true that one partner often doesn't bother and let's the other do all the speaking. No motivation.

Does it actually matter if it is good, bad or indifferent French TV?  The most important is that you are listening and hopefully understanding the language and when you feel confident and understand well, then you can move on to cerebral stuff. I struggled for quite a while until I took a French lover[:-))]  and during ten happy years my french improved greatly!  So well done J.R. there will be no looking back for you[;-)]

I do confess to listening to the BBC world service at night - I'm an insomniac.

Never did watch much TV, so no temptation there.  Must admit, much as I want to watch French TV, for learning the language, most of it is just too banal and yucky for me to persevere.  The only exception is Arte which has some lovely informative programmes.  That and meteo of course.  Do listen to French radio, however.

Jen, that's all very well having one of those proverbially sexy French gods for a lover and learning French that way, but, be honest, how much of that pillow-talk French can you use in everyday life (going to the boulangerie, for example)? [:D]

[quote user="J.R."]

Well your French seems to be pretty good despite your covert habit Coops! Out of interest how good is your husbands French?

I believe that it is usually the women that learn better, being more motivated to communicate than most of us men[:)] Would you agree?

[/quote]My French is only better than my o/h's because I used to spend my holidays with a French family when I was quite young (10 onwards) - nothing to do with our sex, I don't think.  My husband's favourite phrase: "C'est ma femme avec qui vous devez parler!". He's got this off parrot-fashion, especially for when the phone rings.  He is pretty determined to get his point over when face to face though, and manages to find enough French from his A level days, when really necessary (as in, chatting up the glamourous wife of our local baker).

Frankly, Sweet 17, not a lot unless you want to be arrested!! Seriously though, if you have someone in your life who speaks a different language, you do sort of  'absorb' the language without actually realising it.  And as for Arte, I quite agree, it is by far the best channel but I can't get it - my telly is soooo old I can only get 1,2 and 3 and then only when I have a kitchen fork stuck in the back of it[Www]  Artisanal or what! Jen

[quote user="cooperlola"]... My husband's favourite phrase: "C'est ma femme avec qui vous devez parler!". He's got this off parrot-fashion, especially for when the phone rings.  He is pretty determined to get his point over when face to face though, and manages to find enough French from his A level days, when really necessary (as in, chatting up the glamorous wife of our local baker).[/quote]

Sounds like Mr Clair!

His favourite on the phone is "Un moment s'il vous plait!" whilst I rush over pulling wet washing-up gloves off my hands...

He doesn't chat up the baker's wife (she's not that nice), but miraculously manages to understand everything to do with motorbikes and cars... [blink]

Cooperlola - your husband sounds like mine when it comes to speaking french, only Eddie's even more succinct: "la femme arrive." And better with bonny women and diy blokes. I'm not addicted to TV, (though I am to the internet) but really love some Sky channels especially the music ones. eg yesterday a complete showing of Gershwin's Porgy and Bess - where else could you see this short of paying a fortune in London's West End?

[quote user="woolybanana"]Cobblers J.R.[/quote]

They are people who mend your shoes but I understand in our present throwaway society, their livelihood is greatly jeopardised.

They used to feature greatly in fairy tales where they invariably have beautiful daughters, are poor as church mice (you see, it was never what you might call a lucrative job) and get all sorts of help from little beings from another planet who visit their shops after midnight.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="woolybanana"]Cobblers J.R.[/quote]

They are people who mend your shoes but I understand in our present throwaway society, their livelihood is greatly jeopardised.

They used to feature greatly in fairy tales where they invariably have beautiful daughters, are poor as church mice (you see, it was never what you might call a lucrative job) and get all sorts of help from little beings from another planet who visit their shops after midnight.

[/quote]

sweetie17, what are you on? Did you finally harvest that other crop?

[quote user="J.R."]

I am confident and can converse freely in all situations, and acheived my toughest challenge by having wooed and won the affection of a beautiful French girl who speaks no English. I ought to add that this was achieved verbally as I am no oil painting and considerably older than her.

In the past I would have jokingly said "I would give my right eye to be in that situation" it actually turned out to the left one and I have no regrets!

[/quote]

It's your 50 inch plasma screen that attracted her to you J.R.[:)]

No.......I reckon it was your great sense of humour!

So......what do I watch? 

Rubbish mostly - whether it's in French or English.  I love Desperate Housewives and Six Feet Under which I watch on Canal Plus in V.O.  I lost (or deprived of) BBC Prime last year and really miss the British comedies. 

Changing the satelite dish is not an option as I wouldn't leave the house if I had the temptation of all of those English chanels - after 18 years here in France I still pine for them. 

This week was British week on Canal Plus and I got to watch 'Little Britain', 'Extras' (brilliant!) and 'The Office'. 

I had a tripple dose of laughter which I can't find in the French comedy.

We've just done a very brave thing, after lots of discussion and deliberation, should we or shouldn't we? After all we brought it with us when we came here seven months ago, and so we can't just get rid of it without serious thought.  Maybe we'll regret it but i don't think so. We have really neglected it this past couple of months and even more so this last few weeks.We just don't have the time or inclination any more to give it proper attention. Yes we've cancelled our sky subscription.[I]

Geordie Girl

Good on you, I realised over a year and a half ago that I never watched Sky, so I cancelled it,   best thing I ever did,  can honestly say, hand on heart that I do NOT miss it one bit, might be different if I stayed in France full time but honestly, life is better without it.

Go out more, walking, cycling, just mooching around with the camera, lovely, of course, this might just be a relief from the job but don't think so!!  [:)]    Best thing I ever did!!

Jinty.........We got rid of it because we just don't seem to watch much tv anymore. Working hard on the house and by the time we get cleaned up at the end of the day and have something to eat we are kn--kered and ready for bed. I'm not saying we don't watch any telly but not half as much as we did back in the uk. So its not that we need to fill out time walking or cycling (long time since i was on a bike) we just don't bother much anymore. I like to do the camera thing though and have just learnt to send photos on email, bit thick i know but hey its all a learning phase in our new life in france, and we love it. I feel quite liberated that i'm not tied to the telly anymore.Pathetic i know.[:D]

Geordie girl...... Now, how can you doing what you want and loving it be pathetic!!  Glad you are enjoying life, sounds good, I am around the same stage as you, I think, can send photos now, love going out and about with the camera, and the push bike, wish I could be in France full time too instead fo having to work, but needs must, that day will come though.  [:)]