Vacuum Cleaner for Pet Hair

Steph1

In our experience the Dysons are no great shakes - fine when new but don't keep working properly for long, despite the advertising slogans.

I think we've owned nearly all the animal vacuums. The only one that has been any good (and continues to be) is the Miele. Though I think Sebo makes one that is equally effective.

Not sure about the pet hair bits in particular but our Dyson has been going for nearly ten years and still really sucks (sorry!) after three house renovations and all the normal muck too. If it dies, I will buy another without hesitation.

Danny

[quote user="cooperlola"]Although I should add that I am positively the biggest slob going so it doesn't exactly get used much![:D][/quote]

I think we've already had a discussion about that and I seem to remember we found a worse one...?

Can't think who it was though... [8-)]

Vax, with a turbo-brush. You can now buy a Vax that doesn't wet clean, so is cheaper, mine was £70, and has more suction than the Miele that costs three times as much. You can also get a cloth dust-bag for Vaxes which saves £££££££££££, or €€€€€€€€€€€ on paper ones.

Mr Dyson should have a statue erected to him IMHO! My Dyson has coped with so much in the 10 or so years I've had it, and is still going strong including coping well with three large dogs and 2 cats shedding hairs/fur, as well as  budgie feathers and seed, renovation cr*p, HUGH spider webs and cobwebs when we first bought the house etc etc.

If you need new hoses etc they will send them to you, free of charge!

[quote user="Chrissie"]

Yes, Dyson gets my vote, too.  We got ours in about 1986 (the original grey and yellow upright) and it's still going really well.  But I wonder if the later models are less effective and that's why people have divided opinions?.....

Chrissie (81)

[/quote]

You may be right Chrissie as the first one we got was in the 80s and I do beleive it was much better than the last 2 we have had which have just fallen apart and bits have snapped off , and we dont give it that rough a treatment, this will be why my husband likes them as its been as long ago as the 80s since he last hoovered a floor[:D] 

For what it's worth we have, I think, four Dysons sitting in various lofts and garages with burned out motors, snapped off vital plastic parts etc. Including one of the original uprights. There are also various Hoover, Morphy Richards, Kenwood etc cleaners - and a couple of Vaxes - that have not been up to the job. The Dysons have all been regularly dismantled and thoroughly cleaned out, with new filters when necessary, through their lives. The task - which is probably not what Mr Dyson (or Herr Miele) had in mind - is dealing with a labrador and two other dogs, plus numerous cats, and all that they shed and bring in.

The Miele, despite getting through filters much more quickly than the manual says, is standing up to this much better than any of the others so far. Its turbo brush - the one that deals with animal hair - actually works, unlike the Dyson one.

For what it's worth, I have found Electrolux bagless uprights much better, performance-wise, than the Dysons, particularly one which also has an efficient, though small, turbo brush that fits on the hose for doing stairs, furniture etc. The other Electrolux gets through belts and other consumables remarkably quickly, but keeps going, and sucking.

Dysons are good, but not good enough for us.

I use a vacuum of indeterminate make which I got with Champion points and it's quite effective.Our female bc sheds this very fine downy hair which blows about. On sofas etc I sometimes use masking tape around my hands, sticky side up.

[quote user="Steph1"]Thanks for all the replies. Will, I have looked on the Miele website and the 'Cat and Dog TT5000' gets excellent reviews, is this the model you have and if so did you buy it in France? Thanks.[/quote]

Yes, that's the same basic cleaner. The one we actually got - on the advice of the shop - is called the Solution, which has the same higher power motor and turbobrush as the cat and dog model but also has a HEPA filter (a mixed blessing because it gets through them rapidly, but does come with the standard filters too) and a brush for hard floors - better for the ceramic tiles in France. I got it in England because there was a much greater choice, but they are probably available in France.

Thanks Will, I have compared the models on the Miele website and yours is definitely the best model for me, the Cat and Dog TT5000 is no good for hard floors. I am now trying to find a company who will post to France. Thank you for your help and advice, it is most appreciated.

Frenchie,

There does seem to be a much bigger choice of models in the UK and they are everywhere. This must bring down the prices there. Have a look online at UK sites for example this site. Prices include UK delivery. Multiply the prices by 1.5 to give you an idea of the euro price. These are obviously online prices but the competition is fierce in the UK so you can usually find similar prices in big electrical shops like Comet etc. If you (or someone else) is in the UK it might be worth bringing back but maybe it is a good idea to buy locally for guarantees etc.

Danny

Hi

We too had a lab who shed bucket loads of hair and our Dyson, sadly, couldn't cope and died within a couple of years!! We replaced it with a Maytag with Hepa system and I have to say, although heavy, for our use it was brilliant and was still going strong when I gave it away before moving to France. Jetlag