Why I Love France, miserable posters keep out

Georgina

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love France because when I get out of bed at around 9 o'clock on a Monday morning and look out of the windows at the woods, my wife normally asks what the other civil servants at RAF Wyton will be doing at this time. I spend 20 seconds or so thinking about a past life, 4 years ago, when I was earning good money (and giving it back in council tax), and driving 32 miles to work every morning in all weathers. I then return my gaze to the oak trees and watch a leaf or two fall to the ground. I wander into the kitchen and cut some nice bread to have with my pate for breakfast and sit at the table watching the birds eating sunflower seeds.

Sometimes, I have to pinch myself to see if I am still alive, still retired and still not even 50 years old yet.

That is why I love France.

BobT  Sounds as though you and your wife are really having a good time. I like to look out of the window with my first cup of tea of the day looking out at the glorious view across the valley. The colours change every day, its amazing. Every day I thank my lucky stars that we made the decision to come here, hopefully for the rest of our days.

Chilled to bits and loving it. [:D]

Can I put a good word in for Logan? Everyone's jumped on the poor guy just because he's tried to express an opinion and it was too profound for the thread, whatever that means.

Although i'm new here, I've been posting on different message boards for years, and what makes them interesting is the way a thread can change and develop and sometimes end up on a different tack altogether. Are we all supposed to post in a strict, regimented way just to suit a handfull of posters?

Vivre la différence![:D]

I'm not sure I do love France, I ended up here because my wife is French, but I love the slow and easy lifestyle of our region and the fact that whenever I want I can drive 5 kilometers to buy fresh oysters and muscles and local Picpoul wine to go with them.

Is that ok? Or am I banned from the thread? [:D]

I love being in France, too, although I am not there often enough at the moment.  I love it for all the reasons mentioned by previous posters - the reduced traffic, the view over the oak trees and fields from my bedroom window, the historic villages, the friendly people, the food, the wine etc etc.

There are also aspects of France which I do not love - not suceeding in getting the workmen in to repair something they agreed to do over a year ago, not receiving replies from email enquiries, poor customer service, the French banking system etc etc.

On balance, I am very happy when in France.  I am also happy when in the UK.  In fact, if it wasn't for the economic circumstances in the UK over the past 20 years, I wouldn't have a place in France at all.  [:)]

Having a less than 100% rosy view of France doesn't make one miserable.  On the contrary, it makes one pragmatic.  Logan made some pertinent points and doesn't deserve some of the comments his post got.  

[quote user="Scooby"]Agree totally Raindog and Thibault - the attack on Logan just reminded me of playground tauting given to the child in the class that got the A grades.  I personally found his posts intelligent, interesting and thought provoking.
[/quote]

There you are Logan, you achieved your goal, are you happy now????[:)]

Georgina

[quote user="Georgina"]

[quote user="Scooby"]Agree totally Raindog and Thibault - the attack on Logan just reminded me of playground tauting given to the child in the class that got the A grades.  I personally found his posts intelligent, interesting and thought provoking.
[/quote]

Georgina

[/quote]

I never thought Logan had a "goal"

[quote user="LEO"][quote user="Georgina"]

[/quote]

Georgina

LEO SAID:

[/quote]

I never thought Logan had a "goal"

[/quote]

LOGAN'S GOAL That's probably because I am quite old and my subject these days has become unfashionable. If you were to meet me another opinion may or may not be arrived at. I accept I am a product of another age but my experience and ideas are universal and I believe still relevant. As an individual I matter nothing here or anywhere else. If I can provoke a thought process even on a minute scale which may improve anothers life I am content. A lofty aspiration I know but we all have ambitions.

Oh do keep up dear!!!

Georgina

I do not have a 'goal' as such, other than to improve my own understanding of perplexing phenomena. To help someone else with a problem should not be described as ambition more a natural human response. Knowledge gives you the tools and confidence to counsel but only if that counsel is sought. I am afraid I cannot say I have learned anything here about our emotional reactions to living in France. What is clear is the diverse reaction to any efforts to lift debate to a more challenging level than the norm. Alas very common. I had some sympathy with Tony Blair this week when he said that expressing his Christian beliefs as a politician in public life would get him labelled as a “nutter”. I am not a Christian but I see the same reaction always when I attempt to explain situations from a psychological prospective. Yet I believe almost all human activity has that dimension. The trouble is we fear the unknown more than anything else.

[quote user="Logan"]

. What is clear is the diverse reaction to any efforts to lift debate to a more challenging level than the norm. Alas very common. 

I am not a Christian but I see the same reaction always when I attempt to explain situations from a psychological prospective. Yet I believe almost all human activity has that dimension. The trouble is we fear the unknown more than anything else.

[/quote]

First let me tell you my post is not agressive and as I am French, I am not really concerned, but what I take with a grain of salt is the fact that you seem to consider you have " knowledge" others don't have...

I think this thread was just deliberately  light hearted and we didn't want to indulge into deep psycjological reflexion.

I have what is considered as an " intellectual" job, so when I sign online, I am here for a good time, for sharing with English speaking people and make virtual friends sometimes.

Of course there are things you say that we can all agree with ... But in my opinion, your post is just not in the right place...

best regards

[quote user="raindog"][quote user="Christine Animal"]

Raindog, just to go off thread even more, I would love to know how you liked living in Morocco.   [:D]

[/quote]

Is this a serious question or a p**s take?[8-)]  [/quote]

It was a serious question because I love Morocco.  A lot of French people live there and I think I would like to, at least for part of the year (but obviously couldn't with all the animals), so was just interested in where you were and what you thought of it.  Sorry if you thought otherwise.

[quote user="Logan"]

I had some sympathy with Tony Blair this week when he said that expressing his Christian beliefs as a politician in public life would get him labelled as a “nutter”. I am not a Christian but I see the same reaction always when I attempt to explain situations from a psychological prospective.

[/quote]

I can't imagine why  [8-)]

I said I'd leave this now-ruined thread but some of the latter posts are crying out for a reply. This thread was a light-hearted attempt to spread a little happiness (read the title for goodness sake).

It started so well until the 'spanner' was thrown by a clearly troubled Logan. Then, out of the woodwork came the 'leave the poor man alone brigade' from those who simply hadn't grasped the vein of the thread.

I always laugh when someone makes a simple happy statement and then finds themselves 'shot down' by the knockers, what is wrong with you people?

Get a life and lighten up.

[quote user="Christine Animal"][quote user="raindog"][quote user="Christine Animal"]

Raindog, just to go off thread even more, I would love to know how you liked living in Morocco.   [:D]

[/quote]

Is this a serious question or a p**s take?[8-)]  [/quote]

It was a serious question because I love Morocco.  A lot of French people live there and I think I would like to, at least for part of the year (but obviously couldn't with all the animals), so was just interested in where you were and what you thought of it.  Sorry if you thought otherwise.

[/quote]

Sorry Christine, I think it was the hysterical smiley that made me doubt. As i've just posted on another thread, there's alot of animosity on the forum sometimes and it's difficult to see when someone's being nice or aggressive.

We didn't live there - just a 3 week holiday. We had a great time and sampled all the local food. Easy to get around too as alot of people speak French. [:)]