Lost Town

powerdesal

Thought it might be Domfront (61) when I saw it, that certainly has the castle, river, stream etc, but there almost the whole town is on the hill whereas this place seems to nestle below the hill. It does have quite a Germanic look to it though.

[quote user="Will"]Thought it might be Domfront (61) when I saw it, that certainly has the castle, river, stream etc, but there almost the whole town is on the hill whereas this place seems to nestle below the hill. It does have quite a Germanic look to it though.[/quote]

I thought it looked Germanic too, more like Bas or Haut Rhin.

[quote user="Cendrillon"]

Pretty poor clues -  the photo shows the wine village of Ribeauville in Alsace!

To my mind the Alsacian region is one of the most scenic parts of France yet strangely missed by many visitors from the UK

Brian (again)

Brian

Absolutely right, I have stayed there twice![:)]

[/quote]

As I took the photo in 2003 and I have never been to Ribeauville I can guarantee that its NOT Ribeauville. My problem is that I cannot remember exactly where the photo was taken, its most probably within a couple of hours of Villedieu Les Poeles in Normandy as that is where I was based and took the photo on a day out. Alsace would be a tad far!!!!!!!

I guess I should double check my references before posting replies; apologies but the photograph was taken in the nearby wine village of Kayserberg (67) in Alsace (we visited both on the same day in June 2005, that's my excuse). The description given by Steve certainly fits Kayserberg which has a castle overlooking it, a river through the town and a mill race as described. If you go to Google Earth, select Panoramio on the left hand panel and then zoom in on Kayserberg you can view photos posted by visitors to confirm the location.

Sorry that it doesn't solve the mystery of how you took (or acquired) a photo of a place you've never visited.

Brian

As I was the driver I was certainly stone cold sober.

Further point of info:- the town has a pay car park, which, at the time, was the first one we had come across. The car park is very close to the bridge over the river which separates the town from the main road .

Whilst I thought at the time that there was a Germanic / Austrian look to the town I was nowhere near the German border. Unless of course my BM had morphed into a time machine without me noticing.