recommendation please

gert

hi ,

further to my previous post, and i know these sort of posts don`t usually get much response, but can anyone recommend an english or fluent english speaking lawyer to over see a property purchase for us in the dordogne area,

thankyou

Have you tried seaching the UK embassy web site.  They have lists of English speaking lawyers and notaires listed by area and department

But just because a lawyer is on the list does not necessarily mean he will be confident speaking English (personal experience)

There is an english lawyer we know & have used his name is Jonathan Cavender E mail office [email protected]. We come from Somerset & his company have been solicitors locally for as long as I can remember. We used Jonathan to lias with notaire authorities etc during our purchase he is a really down to earth guy.Can't recommend him enough & he is in the your area.

I hope this helps he set us straight on many things we were unsure over

• 4 weeks later...

I don't understand why you need a UK lawyer but can just add that one of the named companies above almost ruined our purchase and I spent our time in the Notaires office on the day of completion phoning the UK to get them to fax over all the paperwork they had forgotten to send to France. They also were charged with translating the French documents and returned them to us a day or so before we left for France as we sent them to them - in French - we of course got a bill...

If the seller had not been American/English with good French it could all have fallen through, though the Notair was fantastic and very thorough and spent the time needed to make sure everything was OK. There were other problems which the Notaire pointed out during the sale but the seller had made us aware of them - the solicitor was just an expensive chocolate teapot.

If you want further details of who to avoid, please PM me - but remember that this could well be an expense you do not need. If I needed UK advice I would use a solicitor in the UK, in France we have a French Advocat - they know what they are talking about and you are within shouting range if they really make a muckup of everything.