I thought France was immune from 'elf & safety madness

Kitty

The question is regardless of whether you think the Daily Mail tells lies or not  ...."Is the x-ray scanner being used in Calais today or is it not ? " If it is not and immigrants get in the lorries ...then they are not helping their own  French lorry drivers  by insisting it is not used as they  face huge penalties when immigration find them .....I would have thought it in the interest of the lorry drivers for them to insist that the scans carry on .

Of course, it can have nothing to do with the earlier French strategy, pre-Sangatte, of herding as many illegal immigrants as they could onto ferries and out of France, could it!

All immigration have to do is can the trucks in Dover - within the port secure area - and send any they catch straight back to France!

BTW: this story was also covered on TV.

I think the French stance seems quite reasonable: you can't just go around exposing people to radiation without telling them that you are doing so, no matter that they might be trying to smuggle themselves across a border unlawfully. A single dose might be OK, but supposing they got 10 doses in as many days? Or if they were pregant? Or they were carrying an infant? There are plenty of passive ways of detecting people hiding in lorries: heat sensors, carbon dioxide sniffers, scent detectors - dogs even - but these of course require skilled (read expensive) operators, whereas a gamma ray or X ray scanner requires the ability to watch television.

What is worrying is that the UK authorities think that this is perfectly OK, so maybe they are already zapping the citizenry of Britain left, right and centre in the interests of prosecuting the war against terror, preventing dissent amongst the supermarket going populace or seeing just who that hoodie really is. Mutations could be imminant. Actually, looking at the state of modern British pimply youth, Russell Brand and that strange Winehouse girl, perhaps it is already rife. If the Mail starts running tales of two headed children in Bridlington or some such, remember you heard it here first.

The solution is quite simple. All the authorities have to do is to have

some kind of public address system that has messaages in all known

languages broadcast alongside the trucks asking if there is anyone in

them. If there is no answer then they can use the XRAYS without fear of

hurting anyone. Cant they??

[quote user="trevoraki"]The solution is quite simple. All the authorities have to do is to have some kind of public address system that has messaages in all known languages broadcast alongside the trucks asking if there is anyone in them. If there is no answer then they can use the XRAYS without fear of hurting anyone. Cant they??[/quote]

Job done, Trev.  You should e-mail the immigration office with that one.

What would the message say? 

Something like 'This truck is about to be microwaved, survivours will be microwaved again!'

Seriously though, something has to be done, go near Calais ferry port any evening and for miles back there are groups of exclusively young men trying to get on a truck which is parked up. They even make road blocks on the autoroute (yes I've seen it)  to stop trucks and get on board.  The drivers patrol their vehicles and carry bats and iron bars to beat them off.  Only a matter of time before someone is killed.  Cops couldn't seem to care less, when they even turn up that is.

"... Brittany Ferries, said it used CO2 detectors to unearth people hiding

the back of lorries and hauliers were under obligation to make checks

themselves...."

"...P&O Stena Line introduced checks at Calais on 6 December using a

team of French security guards equipped with carbon dioxide detectors.

The company has already saved pounds 1.29m in potential fines..."

'Elf and safey does not exist in the supermarkets here. I have lost count of the number of times I have walked by smashed bottles of oil, beer and other such slippery stuff in the aisles of Intermarche, Carrefour and Le Clerc, and not within at least 30 minutes has the mess been attended to or had a 'danger' sign placed nearby.

My first introduction to a French supermarket was at the big Champion in Pezenas in 2001. Someone, a child maybe, had vomited bigtime at one of the checkouts near the entrance, we passed by it. 45 minutes later the mess was still there. I have to say I have never been in a Champion, anywhere, ever since[+o(]