The France Show at Olympia London

• Definitely smaller
  • No fashion show
  • Fewer regional stands, infact hardly any
  • Pricey Brocante stand but then I guess that was to be expected
  • Lots of agents trying to sell houses and those stands took up a lot of space in the main hall.
  • There was a lot of what you might call  "chair" rage as everyone tried to grab chairs the minute they became vacant so that they could sit to eat their lunch in the central area.

• Can-can dancers were really good
  • The group with the Piaf like singer were also good as were the string quartet ( but unfortunately they could hardly be heard above the rest of the noise)
  • I bought the France calendar and a few French books so was pleased with those purchases.
  • We watched part of a film but the noise from outside the cinema area was a bit distracting

We found that we had seen nearly everything by 2 p.m. and didn't stay for the rest of the afternoon.

I was there with my 'journo' hat on, so heard the background (at the press launch) as to why it was smaller this year.

Apparently the company who had been running it (into the ground IMHO) for the last few years backed out only last August. Archant have now taken it over but of course only had a very limited time to resurrect it. I think they did a good job and, despite its small size, I thought it better than last year on the whole. (I had forgotten that last year I swore I wouldn't bother again.)

I think a key thing it has lacked over the last few years is the presence of the regional tourist boards. If Archant can persuade them to re-appear it would return to something like its former self (who can forget the charming wine expert on the Loire stand? Happy days!).

There were some other big non-appearances, such as Eurotunnel, and as you say, the fashion show was missing, but Archant seem committed to rebuilding the event so fingers crossed for next year.

Incidentally next year is quite a bit earlier - around 11 Jan - which suits me as it often used to clash with the ski trip!

PS. I've no connection with Archant, by the way - I'm a guide book editor.

PPS. If only they could ban those flaming schoolkids!

PPPS. Why have I lost the blue dot under my avatar??

I agree with Cendrillon's observatiuons, but the thing that struck me was that there were so many companies selling new build / off plan houses. Has France run out of romantic ruins (otherwise known as money pits)? 

Regarding the Can-can dancers - shame that they were wearing sort-of hairnet/hats with feathers - has anybody looked lovely in a hairnet?

Fay - is your blue dot sticking to the sole of your shoe?

We haven't attended for a couple of years. It seems like you see one show you've seen them all and the local produce is cheaper in Calais. Very few places to sit and the food is expensive. The wine tasting is nice because you get to sit down. I saw Celia Imrie the last time we were there and after that anything is a let down.

I am hoping that next year to entice the tourist board for my village to join me there....at Olympia...just down the road from where I lived.

We exhibited at the exhibition a few years ago and it was enjoyable.

Was Alister Sawdays guide represent?

What do you feel could be added top the show?

[quote user="jon"]

I am hoping that next year to entice the tourist board for my village to join me there....at Olympia...just down the road from where I lived.

We exhibited at the exhibition a few years ago and it was enjoyable.

Was Alister Sawdays guide represent?

What do you feel could be added top the show?

[/quote]

More regional representation and products and more seating - less goods and stands that are completely unrelated - better 'deals' too, sometimes the ferry companies offer a deal for those who attend.

Oh and a more light hearted selection of books - a couple of times I have seen book stalls they have been a bit on the 'worthy' side - did Archant have their book stall there this year ?

Went this year for the first time in a bit. Very underwhelming, except possibly for a closeup look at J-C Novelli...............................[:$]  ...............but I digress.

If I'd wanted to buy a new dining suite, it'd have been really interesting. Truly disappointed no-one was selling nice French bread or patisserie, bought a French textbook for work. Otherwise, sorry, but a massive disappointment and I doubt I'll bother again, especially after one of those awful, never-ending buses-replace-trains journeys in from the 'burbs.[:@]

Can I take this opportunity to say I am furious with their pushy marketing  which I think could break some rules in France  so cross I have sent a copy of the persons name , address which was easy to find because of her phone number - she is from the Dordogne so I sent info to the Tax office etc to make sure she has registered her marketing business and declaring  - well I am glad I have that off my chest ! From reading all your feedback there are some fibs ( did u see all she says will be there?) in what she repeatedly sent me all 8 flippin e mails --humph , [+o(]she says -:

I would like to introduce you to our Holiday Lettings Board, which will be at The France Show 2008 taking place at Olympia, London on 18-20 January.

The show is a celebration of all things French and relating to France. The show is split into five sections, one of which is a large Travel and Tourism area. Here you will find various exhibitors including small independent travel companies and tour operators, tourism offices and large named travel operators. 

Already over 30,000 people have reserved tickets and this is before we have even started our non-Archant marketing campaign. Visitors to the show are Francophiles who regularly take holidays in France and who are attending the show to find potential holiday locations in 2008. 

We understand that whilst many holiday lettings companies would like to be at the show to exhibit the properties they have to offer, some do not have the manpower or the time to be at the show. This is why we have put together the Holiday Lettings Board

The Holiday Lettings Board is a 12m x 1m stand where individual holiday letting properties will be on show with leaflets for visitors to take away. For each property you exhibit, we will provide 150 leaflets with the property details, photographs and your contact details. We will also restock the leaflets throughout the weekend, and place the property on our own holiday web site ( I have deleted there charges of adverts)

I have listed below information regarding details and costs:(name deleted by Mod in accordance with the forum Code of Conduct) The France show 2008 marketing and advertising

[quote user="Phillippe"]

Can I take this oppertunity to say I am furious with their pushy marketing  which I think could break some rules in France  so cross I have sent a copy of the persons name , address which was easy to find because of her phone number - she is from the Dordogne so I sent info to the Tax office etc to make sure she has registerd her marketing buisness and declaring  - well I am glad I have that off my chest ! From reading all your feedback there are some fibs ( did u see all she says will be there?) in what she repeatedly sent me all 8 flippin e mails -humph , [+o(]she says -:

[/quote]

Blimey....she did rattle your chain didn't she......but could she spell?

[quote user="Weedon"][quote user="Phillippe"]

Can I take this oppertunity to say I am furious with their pushy marketing  which I think could break some rules in France  so cross I have sent a copy of the persons name , address which was easy to find because of her phone number - she is from the Dordogne so I sent info to the Tax office etc to make sure she has registerd her marketing buisness and declaring  - well I am glad I have that off my chest ! From reading all your feedback there are some fibs ( did u see all she says will be there?) in what she repeatedly sent me all 8 flippin e mails -humph , [+o(]she says -:

[/quote]

Blimey....she did rattle your chain didn't she......but could she spell?

[/quote]

Oops , thanks, it was the steam [6] , [:)]