French Student in UK

I hope someone can help me here. 

The daughter of a friend wants to come to UK to study.  She is 18 years and I am her only contact in UK.  I intend to put her up on the sofa for a few nights until she sorts out a flat.  My issues are:-

a) She intends to get a job, then attend Uni from September.  Would she need to inform immigration?

b) She started travelling with a kitten which has been left in Dover in quarantine.  What is the duration of this and roughly, how much will it cost her?  If she cannot afford quarantine fees, what are our options?

Thanks

Regarding the kitten, I believe it is six months in quarantine with all costs to be met by the owner. As for immigration,if she is an EU national there is no problem for her especially for working and university who would give her more info. She will have to sign on with a doctor I believe as this is what my daughter who is working in the UK has had to do and pay income tax if she earns over the limit. I would honestly get her to return the kitten to her family until it has had the six months test from the blood one in France to get a passport if she wishes to keep it, it was a little naiive really to think she could just bring it in but I don't want to start an argument.

Thank you Val,

With regards to the kitten, I totally agree with you.  It got detained in Dover and a £250 deposit was paid.  Goodness knows how much more it will cost her in 6 months.  But there you go, she is 18 and "knows it all" ..................b loody kids [:@]

I had forgotten about the doctor and will do that immediately.  Also, she needs a british bank account.  She is amazed by the number of available jobs.  Lets hope she will get one soon AND a flat. [:D]

Re the bank, my girl who has had an account with Halifax since she was four and is now 23 asked for a debit type card so she could access her wages inthe UK.They refused saying she has no credit history,but its not credit only debit and how can you get a credit history if you have never worked there or lived there for many years? The other french employees all use the Post Office I believe or just struggle along. A flat is going to cost isn't it? Unfortunately there isn't the same sort of financial aid for students in the UK like there is here in France where my two have had everything paid for at uni including their flats.

It really makes me wonder how France can afford all these different kinds of subsidies. 

Again thank you for the advice Val.  I was thinking of sending her to HSBC.  She already has a French current account and well, they call themselves "the world bank", or something like that so hopefully, they will take her French account into account when assessing her.  If not, I will send her to the post office.

I have checked with the Uni she wants to attend and, her fees will be £1050 per annum.  However, hardship allowances and scholarships are also available to EU members.

I believe HSBC has an account with limited facilities called Passport, which is designed for people coming to Britain with no UK banking history. After a period of successful operation it can be changed to a normal current account.

When I was working for a living as a lecturer in an English university we had several French students who said that the UK university experience was much more rewarding in many ways than the French. She has my best wishes.

Katie, I know your student isn't in London, but it might be worth pointing her to a couple of forums for French people in the UK (which tend to focus on London although they do talk about other places) just so she can have a look at some of the questions and answers from people who have done what she's doing. They're also fun to read if you want to see what the French equivalent of CF is like![;-)]. There's lots of useful info on things like bank accounts, doctors, NI, etc.

There are quite a few, but here are a couple I'd bookmarked which should get her going:

http://www.caplondon.com/forum/portal.php

http://www.destinationlondres.com/forum/

Re: the kitten

As I understand what happens in practice in the UK - if you are looking to rent somewhere it can be very difficult to find anywhere that will allow pets (as in dog and cat pets - I'm sure things like goldfish are less of an issue).  I know my brother recently moved into rented accommodation and his cat is having to live elsewhere as he could find nothing allowing cats.  Similarly, although a long time ago, my own experience with University accommodation is "no pets" - even small things in cages are not allowed ("I had to rehome my small thing in a cage).

I agree about the kitten going home as even if it does get through you will probably end-up having to look after it long term.  Maybe that is fine for yeu, but do be aware of the potential problems.

Ian

[quote user="Deimos"]I had to rehome my small thing in a cage
[/quote]

I hope your small thing is happy in its cage[:)]

JK!

What a silly girl insisting on bringing a kitten with her when so many people told her not to - I hope you've clipped her around the ear'ole!

I know Twinks, she did not listen to you when you told her about our quarantine laws. 

I will have to talk really nice to hubby to take on the kitten, he really does not like them.  However, maybe he would respond more positively to Demios' small thing in a cage. [:D]

I don't know about kittens and cats but a puppy in quarantine for 6 months would be terrible.  the puppy's development would be very badly affected and a high chance it would become a problem dog.  Maybe cats are different - others would know more about cats.

When I was a student it was the cleaning staff that complained about my pet.  Didn't like it they didn't, complained to the administration who then gave me a right bo****ing and told me to tell it to go and that I was lucky not to be going as well.

Ian