Living in France with elderly relatives

We have a house in France and want to move permanently.  We have both mothers living with us (87 and 88) both are active for their age and mentally with it. However one is a diabetic and the other is almost blind - both are hard of hearing and rely on hearing aids.   We would like to hear from anyone who has moved to France with an oldie.  Pitfalls, problems, tips and hints would be very welcome.  Look forward to hearing from you.

Welcome to the Forum.  I can't recall there being a thread about this before and I did a search.  This might be a start:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/675435/ShowPost.aspx

I'll continue looking.  I'm interested in hearing what people have to say about this.  There are quite a few posters who recommend not bringing teenage children to France (even though I did successfully) so I wonder what people think about bringing elderly relatives.  Health care would be expensive - look out for Cooperlola in the Health Forum, who is clued up on all things about health care.

We have just moved to live permanently in the Creuse with mother-in-law (85). We have had nothing but superb service from the French administrative systems and health care professionals. Joyce has very bad eyesight and receives story book tapes from a UK based charity for the blind regularly. As with articles for the blind in the UK, postage is free and so Jean-Jacques (our postie) brings new books almost every week. All the best with your sojourn!

Steve

My understanding is that the health care is covered under the reciprocal arrangements provided they have the correct paperwork - how do they (the oldies) cope with language etc.  i was also thinking of the  sort of day to day things - what they like/don't like, anything that might come up that we havent thought of.  Hope there might be someone out there who has trodden this path.  One minute i feel quite optimistic about the prospect the next minute i think we must be mad and it could not possibly work.

PS  re teenagers in france my brother and wife moved to france 7 years ago when their daughter was 13 - she is more french than english- fluent french etc and none of them have any desire to move back to uk

My mother lives next door to us. She moved here at the relatively young age of 70 nine years ago. She has since had health problems, isn't great at the language etc. BUT she loves it. The health system (which she is fully covered for courtesy of her E121) has really looked after her.

She needs support from us to cope with admin/language problems, she hates the winter (but would wherever she lived) but when the sun comes out and she can warm her bones, she's as happy as Larry!