marie

max

If you want to change your name I think you need a signed decree from the president for your surname - not sure about the procedure for your christian name though.

If you want a sex-change operation then I think that is a matter of personal choice...

Sue  [:D][:D] Sorry couldn't resist ...

According to this, yes:

http://www.vivelesrondes.com/forum/viewtopic_49173.htm

N'importe qui peut être maire à condition :
- d'avoir 18 ans révolus
- d'être de nationalité française
- de jouir de ses droits civiques
- être inscrit sur la liste électorale de la commune où on veut être élu
et être inscrit au rôle des impôts de la commune (et pas forcément y résider, admirez la subtilité ! Laughing )

You have to be a French citizen.  I was chatting with somebody in the Mairie's office about this just yesterday and whether you can be Maire if you hold a French passport or have to be French born - it's the former, subject to confirmation by the Prefecture.

So, after 5 years, apply for a French passport, pass the test (spelling the name of the office incorrectly is a big no no), get elected to the Council in March and next time round, stand for the office but make sure that you have plenty of support from the French in the commune, without it you don't stand a chance.

Edit: Max, where in France are you?

thankyou for your help, and sorry for the error in my english. "mayor"

as my english is not so good sue i will write in french.

La raison pourquoi j'ai poser cette question et parce-que j'ai fait un parie avec mon voisin anglais. Le parie c'est qu'il pense un Anglais peut être Maire. Et puis j'ai dit il faut être français pour être Maire donc je crois que je vais gagner avec votre réponse. Merci  

Max

[quote user="max"]

thankyou for your help, and sorry for the error in my english. "mayor" [/quote]

Sorry, I hope I didn't offend you - my post really was tongue in cheek, hence the smilies. It is just that when the 'i' is put in the wrong place maire becomes marie and that tickles my, obviously infantile, sense of humour.

I was right about the name change though as we had an awful job when we arrived explaining that it was quite legal to change your name in the UK and a Deed Poll document proved just that. As that is what my OH had done and why his surname on his birth certificate and on his passport are not the same.

Sue

[quote user="max"]

La raison pourquoi j'ai poser cette question et parce-que j'ai fait un parie avec mon voisin anglais. Le parie c'est qu'il pense un Anglais peut être Maire. Et puis j'ai dit il faut être français pour être Maire donc je crois que je vais gagner avec votre réponse. Merci  

Max

[/quote]

Surely the answer is that you are incorrect Max, the other posters have said you do not need to be French (i.e. born in France) but you do need to hold a French passport, therefore an English person could apply to be Mayor after they had applied for French citizenship.

... au confluent de la Sarthe et du Sarthon, Saint-Céneri-le-Gérei

(120 hab., 386 ha) a une belle église romane à peintures murales, un

site et des maisons qui lui ont valu d'être classé parmi les «plus

beaux villages de France»; il a pour originalité d'élire un maire

britannique
, fixé dans la commune en 1970 et conseil en exportation,

qui y a créé dès 1998 le premier centre d'appels du département."

http://tresordesregions.mgm.fr/

[quote user="Clair"]... au confluent de la Sarthe et du Sarthon, Saint-Céneri-le-Gérei

(120 hab., 386 ha) a une belle église romane à peintures murales, un

site et des maisons qui lui ont valu d'être classé parmi les «plus

beaux villages de France»; il a pour originalité d'élire un maire

britannique
, fixé dans la commune en 1970 et conseil en exportation,

qui y a créé dès 1998 le premier centre d'appels du département."

http://tresordesregions.mgm.fr/

[/quote]

Drat, you virtual French person. You beat me to it. I actually googled in French to come up with this!

http://www.jeremyjosephs.com/english_mayor_in_france.htm

To heal my pain, will you fix my link?[:)]

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]I've just had an 'interview' with a second candidate for our Maire's upcoming election and he wants me for his list also !!!!![/quote]

I was in the same position Tony.  In demand, us Brits!!

I stuck to my original decision, and the the more people I speak to the more I'm glad I did!

Hey guys, does this mean that we could set up another of these brilliant French committees for British counsillors on French Councils?

Have you noticed that every 'organisation' (what used to be known in the UK within the charity field as two old ladies and a dog groups) has an association, a president, a secretary, various porte-parole etc etc. and they seems to pop up on the national and local news, radio and papers :)

• 4 weeks later...