Living in France as an Englishman/Woman - What do you think when it comes to Holidays?

Nick65

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Will"]

[quote user="Catalpa"]

I would normally say I shouldn't be getting this out of proportion but a fair bit of verbal Britain-bashing goes on, I have to speak out and contradict the usual sort of rubbish that is spouted about the way the UK is going etc. Therefore I am reluctantly beginning to think that we'll have to avoid one or two of the commune bashes because I will eventually say something that leads to a serious argument especially as my bêtes noirs are usually the worse for wear for drink and I'm not.

[/quote]

Oh, Catalpa, a woman after my own heart. That's the main reason I dread any invitations to British 'dos' in France.

Most are fine of course and I have no problem at all with them, either as residents or tourists. It's just a few that I wouldn't like in England so don't see why I am supposed to like them just because we happen to be in France. And they are usually the same people who complain about the stereotypical British yobs etc...

[/quote]Strikes a chord with me too.  They are generally the "dos" held by those who speak not one word of French, and have very few French friends - steriotypes: definately, but they often are like this - and yet they bash the UK at every opportunity.  I am tempted to believe they would be unhappy with France too, if they made any effort to find out what it's really like.[Www]

[quote user="Will"]

That's the main reason I dread any invitations to British 'dos' in France.

[/quote]

Probably my last words on the subject because I don't want to totally hijack Nick's thread but just for clarity... the "dos" I was referring to are the commune-organised moule frites, poule-au- pot etc - you know the sort of thing - which happen at least once a month in ours and neighbouring communes.

We go because it Gets Us Out (I know (I know, I know [:$]) and it is (should be) an opportunity to catch up with people, speak French - there're often 250 - 300 people at these things. And normally I really enjoy them. [8-|] However, there are often extended French family groups (of 10 or 15 people) so 20 - 30 British residents are, I suppose, viewed by the Comité des Fêtes as a big, extended family - a view probably made convenient as the trestle tables are set out to seat maybe 30 people each.

I don't suppose I need to explain to anyone here how long a four course meal takes [:P] so 3 hours of the evening is sitting with whom you've been seated with.

[quote user="Will"]

[quote user="Catalpa"]

I would normally say I shouldn't be getting this out of proportion but a fair bit of verbal Britain-bashing goes on, I have to speak out and contradict the usual sort of rubbish that is spouted about the way the UK is going etc. Therefore I am reluctantly beginning to think that we'll have to avoid one or two of the commune bashes because I will eventually say something that leads to a serious argument especially as my bêtes noirs are usually the worse for wear for drink and I'm not.

[/quote]

Oh, Catalpa, a woman after my own heart. That's the main reason I dread any invitations to British 'dos' in France.

Most are fine of course and I have no problem at all with them, either as residents or tourists. It's just a few that I wouldn't like in England so don't see why I am supposed to like them just because we happen to be in France. And they are usually the same people who complain about the stereotypical British yobs etc...

[/quote]

Well Will and Catalpa I will bear that in mind - must watch my Ps and Qs in future when I see you - and don't forget one of Henry's (my OH) favourite pastimes is rubbishing the state of the UK at the moment (he does have a lot to complain about though re: his dealings with the NHS).  [;-)]

Pix

AngloInfo Normandy... just because that's the one I use occasionally. I do like seeing the same question posed on different forums because it is interesting how the "forum personality" comes through in the style of the members and their takes on the question.

The difficulty is with AngloInfo sites, is if someone starts being a bit contentious, the entire thread gets removed so it can be a bit frustrating. [6] Whichever AngloInfo you choose, you'd need to post in The Great Debate section.

http://normandy.angloinfo.com/

[quote user="The Riff-Raff Element"][quote user="Deby"]

Actually when I saw the topic for this thread - I interpreted it as to some transexual/trans gender person asking for information.

Deby

[/quote]

I'm pleased it wasn't just me then. But is this a group that is adequately catered for on furums such as this?

And just what is a furum?
[/quote]

If I had known we could have spoken so privately my little pisang

It's often the tourist "invasion" that is the problem rather than the nationality. I recall, years ago, in a pub in Bostcastle in Cornwall a Grockle asking a local in a very superior manner "and what do you do in the winter here?" The local replied "spend all the money you daft bu**** give us in the summer"