Where to take husband for 40th birthday treat?

Bartbag

My husband's going to be 40 at the beginning of June and I want to take him away for a couple of nights.  We live in the Limousin (Correze) and I want it to be a surprise - I am thinking of driving so I don't want it to be more than 3 hours away, although we could take the train from Tulle or Brive, which would give us more scope.  I was thinking of a couple of nights in a hotel somewhere we've never been, maybe Bordeaux or Toulouse or somewhere on the coast (Arcachon, maybe?) but then I suddenly thought 'What about a theme park?'  I've looked at the sites for Puy du Fou but there are no rides there, from what I can tell, and he's very partial to a rollercoaster.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  It doesn't have to be a theme park - that just came to me in a flash as we loved Disneyworld and Universal Studios.  I want something that will completely take his mind off our current concerns (moles and earning a living, not necessarily in that order...) and have a few months to research and get something organised.  We could go up to Paris for a couple of nights but we always end up walking miles and miles when we go there and being totally knackered!  All ideas welcome!  Thanks.

Futuroscope is brilliant but best avoided during school  half term times, as the queues can be horrendous!  Hubby and I went there some years ago and I was rather sniffy about it, thinking it was a 'theme park'.  In fact there are lots of cinemas and visual events, such as a 360degree cinema where the films are played on the walls around you - back, side and front - and another where the film runs under your feet (Magic Carpet).  The buildings are spectacular - they're really let architects run wild with design plans and the end result is spectacular.  Yes, there are some rides but they are great for adults and in fact just involve sitting in your chair and the film coming at you while your chair weaves and rocks and it is very thrilling!

I spent two days there and really enjoyed it.  There are 'queue lines' with markers showing how long you would have to wait but we went during a weekday outside of school holidays and rarely waited more than five minutes for anything, but I can imagine that school holiday waiting times are frightful.  There are plenty of hotels within the Futuroscope complex of all kinds of quality, from cheap to very good, with courtesy buses running all the time.

For a 40th birthday treat, where you don't want to do a lot of walking, I'd recommend this.  Just a couple of hours away from where you are, they speak English and you'd be surprised at what the Futuroscope complex contains - it took me two days to see everything!

Hope he has a fab birthday, by the way.

You won't find any rollercoasters at the "theme parks" of Futuroscope and Puy du Fou, I fear.  The theme for Futuroscope is "the moving image", and for the Puy du Fou is "history brought to life".   Both are absolutely excellent, but if only rides and rollercoasters will do, then you will have to look elsewhere.  (Though Futuroscope does have, 3D, and cinemas that project images under your feet (making you feel you are flying) or showing terrifying rides at high speed through narrow streets (I had my eyes closed for most of that one, so canlt tell you much about it!).

Angela

A bit further to drive, but maybe you could take a plane or train,  Port Adventura Northern Spain, has all the big rides, hotels and a waterparc for day 2;   Had a fab weekend there last August,  after that we went canyoning in the Pyrenees which was even more fun than the rides, and we are approaching 50!!

Lollie