English invasion of France splits into three groups

Clair

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clair, that is such a stupid, patronising, ill-informed and ill-conceived article that I just couldn't be bothered to enter my comments, as I was initially tempted to do.

What is it with these Brits who have learned a little French, have a few French people as acquaintances, drink at the local watering-hole and now consider themselves fully paid-up French citizens?

Why don't they just get real?  Ask themselves how much of French culture (popular and classical, including music) they truly understand, how many French books they read, how much French TV they watch, how many French meals they eat at home and how many French people they are on first name and tu terms with, and the story might be different.

I just hate these so-called journalists lording it over the rest of us.  Wouldn't mind so much if they could write in good English, producing thought-provoking and original stuff.  Most of their twitterings are only so much superficial (often regurgitated) pap that I despair at the state of some Brits' grasp of their own language, nevermind that of the French.

[quote user="Clair"]This made me smile: English invasion of France splits into three groups
[/quote]

It's a particularly dreadful example of the genre, isn't it? The way it tails off into disjointed statements is excruciating.

I see he's named the first two groups 'Colonists', and 'Isolationists', but he doesn't give a name to the third group - the one in which he counts himself.

I nominate Sweet 17 to name that third group, as long as she's still in the same revved up mood she was when she posted earlier.[:D][:-))]

I honestly don't know what to make of this whole "I'm almost as French as the French" attitude.  There are very, very few people, born in non-francophone countries, that have moved to live in France, that could ever pass for, or be accepted as, being French.  Yes, it's very good, essential even,  to learn the language and to be able to converse on a reasonably adult level with native born French speakers.  But that small group of people that consider themselves so well "integrated" that they feel the need to continually bleat on and on about it, to the English speaking community... just what are they trying to prove?  Is it a kind of one-upmanship for the 21st century?

[quote user="Cat"]

There are very, very few people, born in non-francophone countries, that have moved to live in France, that could ever pass for, or be accepted as, being French.

[/quote]

I am continually taken as a French person on the telephone

(at least to begin with – but then they pick up the receiver, answer the call

and I open my mouth …)

Ian

[quote user="Deimos"][quote user="Cat"]

There are very, very few people, born in non-francophone countries, that have moved to live in France, that could ever pass for, or be accepted as, being French.

[/quote]

I am continually taken as a French person on the telephone (at least to begin with – but then they pick up the receiver, answer the call and I open my mouth …)

Ian

[/quote]

[:)]

Exactly Ian, and, it is these 'fantacists" that I find most ridiculous.  You guys will NEVER EVER be accepted as French so please dont try to be.  A French person can move from one department to the next and he will be called etranger all his life.  It is the same in my small town.  My grandmother moved in from Cotswolds during the war and she is still called the Englishwoman.

Oh dear what a plonker, Rodney.

He probably hasn't got any new English friends because they are avoiding him and his new French friends are sticking around because they are amused by his Franglais.

When we made our last move in Devon we didn't spend all our time agonising about integrating, only went to a few village events, were only on nodding terms with our neighbours, made a few friends through my son's school and struggled with some of the local accents. Exactly the same as here. Our old friends still used to come to visit, we ate the same food as before and were quite happy to watch the same old soaps on TV. We had some new and delightful experiences, met some nice people and the ladies in the local shop always smiled when we called in to buy our bread and sweets. Exactly the same as here.

We were part of the village without having to shout about it or live our lives demonstrating how important we were. We were happy and so were our neighbours. Can't say there's been much difference in fitting into our new home apart from learning a new language and despite our ropey French that's not been a big issue.

We've felt very at home from the beginning as we did when moving to our last English home. [:)]

I unfortunatley have lowered myself to fizz off some latin perrier and have replied to let him know what I think and probably not very eliquently (god I hope I spelt that right!) I did this deed before reading your responses so thankfully I don't feel quite so daft as I think most of you have the same opinion, I think my OH has a name for that type, Numbsack I think its a blend of numpty and **** sack and that about sums him up.

P.S I do dye my hair blond and on occasion when the white sock marks are too striking against the rest of me legs reach for the st.tropez only cause they don't look so good with the white stiletos! 

I'm sorry JK but I don't agree with you,  I feel completely integrated and very Frelsh[:)].  It only took 18 years - but it's finally happened.

Lilly!

Where on earth did you come from?  I would love to see you with your ankle socks and stilettos and fanta tan[:D]

Hello Tressy, Greyman and sweet 17 - you tell 'em, ma fille!!!

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

I'm sorry JK but I don't agree with you,  I feel completely integrated and very Frelsh[:)].  

[/quote]

So do I, not Frelsh though.  [:-))]   [:P]  But that's maybe 'cos we've got French husbands and don't count.

Why do people always have to be put into "groups".  I don't want to be in any group.   [:(]

Twinkle and Christine, you both went to France when you were youngsters.  Although I do not know you Christine, I imagine you had the same sort of  'adoption' process as Twinkle where you fell into the French way of life with your young beau and his family. I remember Twinks telling me, as far a culture is concerned, she now feels more French and Welsh and, to a certain extent, she is.  She told me off for standing up munching on a croissant and pointed out to her 'French' daughter that the Welsh were 'funny' [blink].

What I have found from reading this forum is that there seems to be alot of  self righteous opinion against those who don't intergrate.  Many British move to France later in life, when their finances and family ties dictate.  Why can't they choose to lead a quiet life and not to integrate?  Does that give them less of a right to enjoy the country than those who strive to become more French than the French?

No Twinks, not everyone strives.  I have also read many threads here of people who don't speak and don't even try to speak a word of French.  I will strive to speak the language because personally I am very interested in the culture and what it could offer me.  I would go off my head stuck out in the sticks with my husband all day making marmite sarnies.[:D]

But there you go.  If we were all the same......................