Elections Municipal

PeterCD

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anywhere I can look that will actually show me how to vote? There are 12 boxes on my carte electorale and I have no idea what to do with them. There is just one liste with 12+ (I think) people on it, do I just write in the names of those I want to be on the liste? Thanks!

The boxes on your carte électorale are stamped at each vote.

As you enter the bureau de vote, you will find a table with various piles of papers and piles of envelopes.

There will be ready-made lists of people who have put their name forward for election and have formed a list and there might be individuals who wish to be elected without the support of a list.

EDIT: you will have to find out how many councillors are being elected if you do not know. Ask beforehand.

The following applies for communes of 3500 or fewer inhabitants.

More details here: http://www.vie-publique.fr/decouverte-institutions/institutions/collectivites-territoriales/acteurs/commune/comment-sont-elus-conseillers-municipaux.html

You need to take a sheet off each pile and one envelope before going into the booth (you may prefer to bring with you the lists which have been delivered to your home).

Inside the booth, you can either put the complete list without any changes into the envelope or you can cross names off and either put another name, or not.

Yo do not have to accept every name on a list.

Your vote can be for a lesser number of names (achieved by crossing off one or several names), but cannot be for a greater number of names. This would invalidate your vote altogether, as the scrutineers would not know who you wanted to vote for.

Do not put a tick or any other mark to indicate your choice. This too would invalidate your vote.

If there are several lists, you can mix the names or add the name of an independent candidate if there are any (candidates A and B from list 1, candidates X and Y from list 2, your neighbour's name even if he is not listed!)

Once you have chosen your candidates and put their list or names inside the envelope, exit the booth and present your carte électorale at the next table, where it will be checked against the register; put your envelope in the slot of the perspex box. Once you have voted, you card will be stamped, sign the register and that's it.

Retire tot he nearest café and get a well deserved apéro![:)]

You don't mark your votes on the card itself, it's like an "entrance pass" to show you are entitled to vote.   When you vote it will be stamped in one of the scrutin boxes, and you keep it for the next election. 

Try this... http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/3/1179456/ShowPost.aspx#1179456

EDIT: that oracle Clair got there first, and said it so much better too [:)]

Once again, I have been asked by the very helpful assistant at the mairie if I could help with the count at the end of the voting day.

I have been advised that, because of the "mix-and-match" called le panachage, where lists are modified, names are crossed of and others are added, the count will probably take many more hours that it did for the présidentielles!

More details:

Elections municipales : communes de moins de 3 500 habitants

Principe

Les citoyens élisent les conseillers municipaux :

• pour 6 ans (toutefois, cette durée a été exceptionnellement prolongée d'un an pour ce scrutin, puisque

le renouvellement des conseils municipaux prévu en 2007 a été reporté à

mars 2008),
  • au suffrage universel direct,
  • au scrutin majoritaire de liste à deux tours, l'élection pouvant être acquise au premier tour. 

Les listes peuvent être panachées, il est possible d'ajouter ou supprimer des candidats, sans que le vote soit nul.

Composition des listes

• Dans les communes de moins de 2 500 habitants, les

listes peuvent être incomplètes, et les candidatures individuelles sont

admises.

• Pour les communes comprises entre 2 500 et 3 500

habitants, les listes doivent comporter autant de candidats que de

sièges à pourvoir.

Mode de scrutin

• Au premier tour, sont élus les candidats qui ont

obtenu la majorité absolue des suffrages exprimés (plus de 50 % des

voix), et un nombre de voix supérieur à 25 % des électeurs inscrits. 
  • Pour les sièges restant à pourvoir, il est procédé à un second tour. 
  • Au second tour, les candidats obtenant le plus grand nombre de voix sont élus. 
Election du maire et des adjoints

• Après son élection, le conseil municipal se réunit dans les plus brefs délais possibles.
  • Il élit en son sein le maire et ses adjoints. 
  • Le maire et les adjoints constituent la municipalité.

A question if I may....

We are a commune of around 200 inhabitants and there are two lists that have been delivered to our homes . The last time I voted there was only the one list .  The first list is all the usuals who we have come to know with a full complement of 11 names.

The 2nd list is a new dynamique guy who has teamed up with a local farmers wife, but there is only these two names on this 2nd list. (By the way our Maire is leaving so we are electing the councillors for the new Maire of our commune.) 

My question is this;  I want to cross off some names on the first list and leave the second list un marked. Do I then put both lists in my voting envelope ?  Or can I add names from the first list to the blank spaces (9 of) on the 2nd list??

Panic button Clair!! Only just found this thread...

What happens if you have registered but have not had a voting card??? Is there a chance that it will be at the voting station/place??? And if not how do we get our vote counted???

We have not seen any lists at all either.

If your card has not yet been posted to you, take your passport with you to the bureau de vote to enable the assessors to establish that you have indeed registered to vote. It might be an idea to bring a local tax bill too, just in case you need to prove your address, should your passport show a different one.

(I am not lecturing, but you should really have looked into it before today, as they would have been able to contact the relevant people when the offices were still open)

For info http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/Election politiques Inscription sur les listes et carte électorales

(I am sure your card has not been lost or stolen, but this is how you you can vote tomorrow without it)

Perte ou vol de la carte électorale

Pour pouvoir voter

L'électeur peut demander à la mairie dont dépend son bureau de vote une attestation d'inscription sur les listes électorales. 

Il peut aussi se présenter le jour du scrutin au bureau de vote avec une pièce d'identité. 

Il pourra voter après vérification de son identité et de son inscription sur les listes électorales.

I don't take it as a lecture Clair, but it's the age old question of what questions do you ask when you don't know what questions to ask??? We did not know of or expect a card.

We will take our passports and proof of residence, but as most of the folks in the village know where we live that should not be too difficult to prove... Even the maire has played with my toys (cheeky, but true!)

Good luck for the vote today Tony.  Does your village have an opposing liste?  We do here but by all accounts we stand a very good chance of getting elected en entier today.  We had a public réunion friday night where I had to do a 2 minute presentation of myself, then each of us presented one of our projects, again another speech for me to do, both went really well as did the whole evening for us.  I was soooo nervous - there was about 100 people there, of which only 20ish were not supporters of our liste - the 20 were mostly the members of the other liste! What a relief for all of us after it was over - nothing left to do but to wait for tonight's results to come in.  Bon chance!

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]But that's ONLY if you're registered to vote Jonzjob, I didn't see from your previous messages that you actually registered and before the cut off date.[/quote]

Yes we did register well before the cut off Tony. So we will go armed with passports and tax bill and see what happens. There are no ex-pats on any lists for our village as far as I know, but then again there are only 7 ex-U.K. people in the village anyway!!

Good luck...

I have done the deed and as our village has two complete lists, it is very simple.

On the inside wall of each booth, there is a poster-sized list explaining how to vote. It is very clear and easy to follow, but in French![:)]

Opposition list, goodness me no, that would mean more than 11 people being interested in the election, nice and sedate in our little commune of 148 potential voters and we only have 190 odd inhabitants.  Our local big town has 3 lists so that should make for an interesting count this evening.

I'm on election duty this afternoon - I'm one of the scrutin team - so have 2.5 hours of waiting for people to come in to vote, must take something to read cos from memory in the UK, it can get very boring.

Obligatory aperos this evening when the count is finished apparently!