Immigration

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It had several strands, they followed real people, one a girl from Poland I think, coming to work in Dorset - comments from the owner before hand about the difficuly of recruiting local staff who actually wanted to work and get involved. A taxi driver being taught about driving taxi's in Plymouth - but he was in an Eastern Block country - how he wanted to invest in his family, how they would follow him etc, and then a charity worker in Calais ( I think) helping people trying to get across - not actually with the crossing, but with living, food etc beforehand

[quote user="Russethouse"]Did anyone see the program about immigrants trying to get to the UK, last night ?[/quote]

Why do you watch U.K. T.V.

The french ones are the thing to watch.

Please don't bother - I live 5 minutes from the Chiltern Hills, 5 minutes from an area where I can eat 'around the world' and can be in London in 45 minutes (door to door) and Portsmouth is 90 minutes if I am using the ferry. If I am flying I can get to Souhampton airport in about an hour - believe me, there are much worse places to live....

[quote user="Russethouse"]

It had several strands, they followed real people, one a girl from Poland I think, coming to work in Dorset - comments from the owner before hand about the difficuly of recruiting local staff who actually wanted to work and get involved. A taxi driver being taught about driving taxi's in Plymouth - but he was in an Eastern Block country - how he wanted to invest in his family, how they would follow him etc, and then a charity worker in Calais ( I think) helping people trying to get across - not actually with the crossing, but with living, food etc beforehand

[/quote]

The girl was from Estonia and wanted to spread her wings and see new places so ended up working for a hotel at Lyme Regis there were a lot of Polish staff working there too. I thought the school in Romania for drivers to learn to become taxi drivers in Plymouth was very interesting. Most of all I was impressed at their good level of spoken (written as well) English. All in all it provided an interesting insight.

In the last few years I have spent a lot of time in Romania.

I can swear that if I was younger and not so ill I would go and live there and forget France.

The energy, intellctual level and spped of growth are extraordinary.

Forget the media clichés.

Romania could do to France what I expect China to do the the USA.

[quote user="Russethouse"]Please don't bother - I live 5 minutes from the Chiltern Hills, 5 minutes from an area where I can eat 'around the world' and can be in London in 45 minutes (door to door) ...[/quote]

Now I feel sorry for you as well[:)]

[quote user="Russethouse"]Please don't bother - I live 5 minutes from the Chiltern Hills, 5 minutes from an area where I can eat 'around the world' and can be in London in 45 minutes (door to door) and Portsmouth is 90 minutes if I am using the ferry. If I am flying I can get to Souhampton airport in about an hour - believe me, there are much worse places to live....[/quote]

Touche

[quote user="terry"]

[quote user="jimmytaktak"]Thank you for your reception. Have you got questions which I can answer ?[/quote]

Yes i have.

Why did you move to France and when?

[/quote]

I did not move to France, I am French. On the contrary, I have been two weeks in England when I was twelve, that is all.

[quote user="jimmytaktak"][quote user="terry"]

[quote user="jimmytaktak"]Thank you for your reception. Have you got questions which I can answer ?[/quote]

Yes i have.

Why did you move to France and when?

[/quote]

I did not move to France, I am French. On the contrary, I have been two weeks in England when I was twelve, that is all.

[/quote]

Hi Jimmy, may I correct your English?

"I spent two weeks in England"

I hope you don't mind me doing this.  I am learning French and need to be correctly constantly.  It is the only way we learn.

Where in France are you from?

[quote user="Just Katie"]

Hi Jimmy, may I correct your English?

"I spent two weeks in England"

I hope you don't mind me doing this.  I am learning French and need to be correctly constantly.  It is the only way we learn.

[/quote]

Careful, JK, you stand up to be shot down. I hope you don't mind my doing this. [:D]

John