Sunday Driver's back home....

Best wishes from me also, sounds like whilst the car might be dented your spirit is not [:)]

Although we'd heard it had been a bad smash I'm sure many will still be shocked to hear the extent of the injuries you both sustained in what was a sturdy modern car with a full gamut of safety features and accroutements, what on earth was the estimated impact speed ?

Best regards

Ernie

Good to see you back dave.

Your accident, and the injuries sustained makes you question all these, so-called safety features that are fitted to cars these days.

We are in Monaco for a few days and the driving standards down here have to be seen to be believed.

I will never understand the mentality of bike riders (motorcycle) zipping around in unfastened helmets, 'T' shirts and flip-flops. They are either very good riders, blessed with help from 'him' above, or just plain suicidal.

Let us know when you are up for a ride-out...............[:)]

Gary.

Good to see that the one part of you which wasn't dented was your sense of humour.  Never thought I'd roar with laughter at a posting from somebody who survived that smack-up - the pic in the paper looked horrific.  Here's to a speedy recovery for you both.[B]

Just don't give us such a shock again, please S/D!

Maybe one or two on here who boast of doing the Channel ports to home or maison secondaire in one 10 - 12 hour non stop go should reflect on the actual cause of Dave's accident and change that aspect of their driving behaviour.

Michelin recommend a break after every two hours of driving and in France there more than enough places to take these breaks.  What does another couple of hours on a trip really mean if it stops somebody ending up badly injured or killed?

[quote user="Bugbear"]

Good to see you back dave.

Your accident, and the injuries sustained makes you question all these, so-called safety features that are fitted to cars these days.

[/quote]

On the other hand, these very safety features (seat belts, airbags, crumple zones, etc) are exactly what kept Mr & Mrs SD alive from an impact of around 2 tonnes of car hitting another 2 tonnes at speed.  Painful and distressing injuries yes but not life threatening thank goodness.  I for one thank the engineers of these 'questionable' safety features or we might be lamenting the passing of one of our great forum members and his wife.

BTW, what happened to the other driver.  Don't tell me he got off without a scratch and knock-for-knock on the insurance!

Welcome back I hope you take the time to relax and enjoy the fuss being made of you,(AndyWarhol ........) make sure you take enough rest to recuperate porperly.

There are lots of us who read your resposes without actually acknowledging that we have taken your advice.  So Thank you.

Get well soon

Judith and Richard 

Sunday Driver.Glad to hear that you are both reasonably well. Is it worth looking on the bright side? You now have a convertible ready for the summer! Seriously though, I sold cars for a while through a main dealer before coming here. I had several customers that had been involved in accidents, through no fault of their own and had been given 'market value' for their car. This, not surprisingly was only enough to buy them a vehicle a couple of years older than the one they had lost. I often thought and still do, that if I was in that position and offered 'market value' I would just say 'No thanks, just find me a replacement vehicle in the same condition mine was in.' I wonder how that would be received, especially if you were prepared to go to court over the matter?

Regards Paul

A belated WB SD and Brenda, at least you sounds quite chipper despite the accident but then we'd probably expect that from you.

As for the other driver, it's coming up to the second anniversary (tomorrow) of the accident in our commune in which 4 people were killed, our friends, and still not even a hint of when the driver will be going to a Tribunal.  French justice can grind mighty slow.

But the good thing is you're both back at home and back in this virtual French commune and evidently getting on as best you can with all the battered and bruised bits, very best of luck to you both for a speedy recovery.