Sunday Driver's back home....

A bit battle scarred but still in one piece......[:D]

Thanks to everyone for all the very kind words here - Mr Wiggy printed out the whole thread and brought it into hospital for me to read.  Cheered me up no end!

Thanks also for the lovely flowers - although the whisky seems to have gotten diverted somehow......

It was one of those 'It's a lovely day so take me to the shops or else' moments.  We were on our way into Bressuire, following another car, no hurry, when a line of cars approached us coming in the opposite direction.  Suddenly, one of them drifted across the centre line into our lane forcing the car in front of me to swerve. By the time I'd decided whether to swerve left and hit the other oncoming cars, or swerve right and into the deep ditch - BANG.  Full frontal impact.

Pompiers and SAMU doctors arrived within a few minutes and swarmed all over us, cutting the roof off the car to get me out on a plank. 

After getting us to the local hospital and taking enough X-Rays to make us glow in the dark, I ended up with two broken ribs, a fractured vertibrae and a left hand that looks like a haggis with fingers.  Brenda has a broken ankle, dislocated thumb, fractured sternum and a massive red scab on her conk from the airbag.  Fortunately, my visage is unmarked (except for a six day growth of grey beard - makes me look old).

The Gendarmes arrived to take statements - they did blood tests for alcohol on me and the other driver but we were both clear.  Appears he'd admitted to falling asleep at the wheel.  He didn't even brake - just my skid marks on the road.  He's being charged with blessures involuntaire (enormous fine, massive driving ban and prison....).

The statement was witnessed by Colin the Gendarme - his rank was shown as Mareschal Chef de Logis. I told him how chuffed I was that they'd sent a Field Marshall to interview me....[:P]

Just before we were discharged, our nurse came bustling in with a sort of plastic truss affair - 'We've just noticed on your X-ray you've got a broken collarbone!'  I quickly explained that it was an old break from a bike accident five years ago, but they still insisted on yet another X-Ray just to make sure.

We got home this afternoon to hugs from all our French neighbours.  Even the guy who runs my local tabac came up with a box of cigars, saying 'I read about you two in the papers'...

Ah well, had my fifteen minutes of fame, I suppose.

Once again, thank you all for your kind thoughts.

I have only just read of your misfortune so will take this opportunity to say that I am glad that you have both come out of it relatively intact and in good spirit. There but for the grace of god go many of us.

You wern't driving on sunday were you? [:)]

I am so very glad, SD, that you have not only survived the accident in some style but that you have retained your sense of humour.

And it's good to know that poor Mrs SD's injuries were more or less superficial if rather painful.

You had to come back, of course.  I am sure I am not the only person who has a question or two for you regarding our cars and whether we need to change the registration....................

Great you are both home and in good spirits......... Talking of which if you pm me quickly, with your address, I will bring you the bottle of Scotch. I am going past the place you had your accident, tomorrow, to our place near Bressuire.

Glad to hear that you are home, and much sooner than the initial report imagined.  Obviously, if one is going to have an accident a BMW is the car to have (!!!) , or another similarly strong enough to take the brunt of the impact.  Enjoy your convalesence, but take it steady.  Festina lente.

Nice to see you back SD and mrs SD. take lots of car sorry I mean care [:)] and have lots of rest you will need it for a few weeks trust me .......

How is the other chap ? was he hurt also ?  

Welcome back !!!!

Daily life must be a bit painful, but you know everybody here is supporting you two..

Your story really makes me think of a program that was on tv yesterday on France 2. 

( There was a young guy who fell asleep, lost control of his car , frontal crash ; he killed two people. Now he is  haunted by what happened. )

Courage !!

Wonderful news SD, and to see you back at the keyboard so soon. I hope the pain, discomfort and restricted mobility will soon become a distant memory for both of you.

At least now you are left in no doubt about your popularity index!

Very best wishes for total healing.