Balanced Forum

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Archant, no doubt, host this site via their own servers and gateway, as an adjunct to their other commercial operations.

but are using a free edition of this software, if I am not mistaken, which for the full version is 1500 GBP

They then have to contract to a telco for sufficient bandwidth to carry all web apps and sites.

they dont need much bandwidth for a forum, they have relatively small traffic from what I can work out, mostly email handling

Furthermore, I doubt their tech support does it for love!

True someone needs to look in on it now and again to make sure alls ok, and of course noone will do it for free

and such sites carry ads which are hugely annoying.

like the ones on here!

Advanced forum software is far from free: I'm presently in process of publishing a group of forum sites which are all commercial.

There's lots of forum software out there: most of it poorly coded and inflexible. The good stuff costs, believe me!

no arguments there,

I don't know if this helps but Archant has a very large server farm for it's newspaper and magazine production. Part of this farm is also used to host several websites and forums which includes ours. The current forum software has been purchased by the Archant group and is used for all their forums. Some of their forums use features that are not available in others. So each forum is tailor 'made' to fit the subject. This forum was actually migrated from another product which in turn was migrated from another and indeed another. I think there have been 4 migrations since I have been a member. Over these migrations we have lost and gained differrent elliments of functionality over the years.

If Archant wants to add adverts to the forum like you all see them (mods don't see the ads which is why we may not always know if you are talking about one in particular) then they can, they paid for the servers, bandwidth and software. This also explains why there is a particular need for moderators and why some of the moderators read every single post made. This is to ensure that posts stay within the Code of Conduct laid out by Archant (not the moderators hence we always say "got a problem with them then take it up with Archant") which are there to protect Archant from any form of litigation. You could say that this moderation is the price we pay for having a financially free forum. [;-)]

The membership rate does go up and down. There are people here who get fed up with repeating the same answers to the same old questions time after time and hence can be seen to be a bit brisk at times. I think people should use the search facility more than they do, especially new members. This in turn would stop these older members feeling obliged to reply in said brisk manner. I often also think that perhaps we would see more new members if some of the older members were better behaved. What I mean is that if you look in a lot of threads you get members making one line glib comments then running away or just simply taking the thread way off topic with totally stupid comments. If you tried to see the forum as others might i.e. from the eyes of a new person visiting for the first time perhaps you might understand the reluctance of people joining.

[quote user="Quillan"]

I often also think that perhaps we would see more new members if some of the older members were better behaved. What I mean is that if you look in a lot of threads you get members making one line glib comments then running away or just simply taking the thread way off topic with totally stupid comments. If you tried to see the forum as others might i.e. from the eyes of a new person visiting for the first time perhaps you might understand the reluctance of people joining.

[/quote]

Quillan,  well said.  I sometimes feel like saying "Children, children!" It would indeed be a shame to loose such a valuable source of free information for those of us who love France, simply because one or two members can't resist the temptation to show off!

[quote user="Quillan"]

I think people should use the search facility more than they do, especially new members. [/quote]

Quillan - a suggestion.  The search button needs to be more prominent and with an explanation of what you can do. 

This is the only Forum that I have used and so when I was new, I didn't know about searching.  My first question - the reason why I had come onto the Forum in the first place - was about registering my car in France.  I now realise that it gets asked about once a fortnight by someone,  Fortunately, Sunday Driver was very patient and pointed me in the right direction.  I am now an 'older' member, thanks to SD.

If I had known about the search option, I would have used it.  SO make it more prominent and then it'll get used by new people.

(Can I say, as a quirky aside, it's like tampon packets.  There's a leaflet in every single packet about how to use them, which us girls routinely throw away.  However, for that first package purchased, it was absolutely essential.)

Lovely!

Great over fish or home boiled smoked bacon, with new 'tatoes.

Yummy.

I'm just about to enjoy Mrs Gluey's own recipe for Thai style salmon curry.

Green Thai sauce; coconut milk; water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, green and red peppers, toms, mushrooms, green and red chillis. garlic and root ginger plus the chilli sauce, of course.

Served with noodles and some veggies not as yet known to me.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="Judith"][quote user="Quillan"]

I often also think that perhaps we would see more new members if some of the older members were better behaved. What I mean is that if you look in a lot of threads you get members making one line glib comments then running away or just simply taking the thread way off topic with totally stupid comments. If you tried to see the forum as others might i.e. from the eyes of a new person visiting for the first time perhaps you might understand the reluctance of people joining.

[/quote]
Quillan,  well said.  I sometimes feel like saying "Children, children!" It would indeed be a shame to loose such a valuable source of free information for those of us who love France, simply because one or two members can't resist the temptation to show off!
[/quote]

I agree.  I am new to this site and forums generally.  I joined two others today, both for France and spending timeon them makes me realise just how bloomin good this site is.  The rules are simple enough and even if you don't read them it is only a matter of politeness.  If you are rude or nasty it is likely that you are breaking the rules.  I have looked at loads of topics on this forum which I have found interesting and wanted to make comments but by the time I have read down the list of posts it seems the original theme is gone.

Let's all undertake to treat each other with couresy.  We all have something to offer and we all have much more to learn.  Instead of harrassing our moderators lets just take a minute to think how hard a job they have to do for OUR benefit.  It is a thankless task and all they seem to get is abuse from some silly people.

Please don't now all correct my spelling or grammar.  There are other sites for that.

CY

CY, I think that linear threads are a myth of any mods mind because they dont exist. Mostly there are angles to explore which lead in different directions or, and this is very common, the original subject is not susceptible to development beyond a certain point and begins to repeat itself, or subtle points get misunderstood and it gets lost. So, think of it as a spider's web blowing in the wind on a hot summer's day with the mods desperately trying to catch it whilst wearing baseball gloves.

Thanks woolybanana'sbrother

Of course digression is necessary and often useful, I don't disagree but some of the threads start out as questions on say for example taxes or driving and end up with one or two (often the same one or two) exchanging abuse as to how one or the other writes or spells.  That surely is internicine and pointless.  

I have read many of your psots and I consider your points to be made very well.  You seem to approach the limits and not break them, you are not rude or nasty but sometimes quite forthright... No problem with that but others, as soon as they seem to be maybe contradicted or something, get really difficult.  I know anyone reading this will see what I mean.

Before joinng this iste I read posts on it and as a consequence was able to easily get my car registered here, able to sort out a few other issues too.  Some of the older member (longer memebers) have saved me a fortune in time and effort and I fear that if all this arguing and oneupmanship continues we will lose these poeple and this site and basically a free and useful fountain of experience and know how.

Just my point of view!

Ya, you dont wanna know the trouble I get in not to go over the edge. However, basically it is all quiet here now my hideous brother has gone to his maker.

The site is well managed, largely, though occasionally there are disagreements as in any family. If we lose it, the reasons will be financial, nothing else.

But you are right, it is a wealth of information and help. And there are a few really nice people out there.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]When WBB says that his brother has gone back to his maker it is more of a manufacturer's recall.
[/quote]

Hello Dick,

I guess I am missing out on an 'in joke' but I am relieved his brother is not dead.  Forgive me for saying so but as I mentioned to the other man I have read alot of threads on this site and find also that your contributions have been most valuable.  I feel stupid for not having joined before. 

Be gentle with me in future should we lock horns about any particular subject... I am only little.

Do you know people, this is like walking into a pub and meeting loads of interesting folk...[:)]

CY

Tis like the pub my love but the moderatireurs wont pay for the booze. And it is good Belgian beer too. Hoy yoy in a basket we are hard done by.

You are right about Dick, he is your Man for all Seasons whereas I am your Iago or perhaps nowadays Polonius, a bit ratty behind the scenes......

If you are free, my sister is called (because the bl oody priest was deaf) Randy, so Randy Woolybanana. It has a ring don't you think. Anyway, since she came out from her last stretch she has been looking for someone.... So, if you could oblige, you would do me a favour as Ma is 93 and going nuts to get her paired off.

Well done, wiskersnatch, you have answered Wooly with charm and tolerance.  He's not a bad old stick, really, just gets a little OTT sometimes.

At heart, he is a real softie and he can be very knowledgeable in many areas of French life as he has been here for as long as Methuselah.

I am glad you decided to join the forum.  I love having new and interesting people post, particularly as the forum has been somewhat quiet lately.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Well done, wiskersnatch, you have answered Wooly with charm and tolerance.  He's not a bad old stick, really, just gets a little OTT sometimes.

At heart, he is a real softie and he can be very knowledgeable in many areas of French life as he has been here for as long as Methuselah.

I am glad you decided to join the forum.  I love having new and interesting people post, particularly as the forum has been somewhat quiet lately.

[/quote]

Methuselah never visited France!!!  You want to fight about that??  Do you? Do you?  ..... You looking at my pint?... are you?  are you????  go on then! go on...!!!##

[:D] 

See my point...

Hey... Lets all sleep in the same room tonight, on the floor in front of the fire....  lets tell ghost stories... Lets JUST BE NICE

My dear sweet chappie, Methuselah was French. Didn't you know? Look at History, they are always on the wrong side and full oçf kaka. Well almost. By the way, how can you drink that wishy washy beer? You a man or Welsh or just a little .... Naaaah, leave it up to your OH to decide. Lovely person by the way, very welcoming.[6]

This IS nice my darling.Wait til the winter when we are all bored stiff and the wine has flowed a little. Then will the fairy stories start, then the men tell their stories of battles and heroes, of deeds done and not done, of women done and .... ooooops. You get the picture my son.

By the way, I am an ordained priest so please, keep is reasonable.