Balanced Forum

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, we are very well balanced. Krusty do you still have the same tele for Coronation Street?

Mmmm Sweet 17, all that lovely old food.  My mother used to make delicious bread pudding, just right after the mushy peas (and they were still warm Krusty, thanks).

No ketchup, just malt vinegar for me.

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

What about steak and kidney pie with a lovely suet crust for tomorrow night?  Look, that old Woolywotsit's already gone to bed and missed all the good food.   [:D]

[/quote]

Christine, leave the poor old fellow alone.  He's probably removed his teeth for the night![;-)]

Tomorrow night, I think I'll have roast pork with crackling and apple sauce.  Then, for afters, I think I'd like crêpes suzette.  There, don't say I don't treat Brit and French food evenly!

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Cathy, do you wear ankle socks or something?  Not know Gilbert Harding, you mere child?  Mind you, I wasn't that struck on the man and when he broke down on "Face to Face", I was not much moved.

As for 1960, no, can't say I remember that far back.

But, I do remember trains that had carriages that only had 2 rows of parallel seats facing with those racks above your heads with netting where you stored your luggage.

The anxious times when I travelled in one of those opposite some weirdo and feared for my life and my honour![geek]

[/quote]

When I first started commuting to the Big Bad City (which in those far off days was a more honest and pleasant place: and most of the old buildings which had esacped Hitler's bombs were still intact) it was, for the first two years on steam trains: slam door carriages and the luggage racks were made of string, like a shopping bag!

Carriages were designed to seat 6 per side. We often managed to cram in twenty and I do remember one Christmas "Bottle Party" and one young lady finishing up in the luggage rack! We didn't incovenience other passengers however, or swear at them or spit. And we always took any rubbish away.

All lighthearted fun.

I first watched TV in about 1947 or '48: after the War my Dad bought a new TV as soon as they were available.

All I can remember was a programme called Whirlygig, presented by McDonald Hobley, Silvia Peters, of course and films of daring do during holiday times; the sort of stuff of Saturday kids pictures.

Gilbert Harding was of course a stalwart of early BBC panel games such as Animal Mineral Vegetable, presented by Mortimer Wheeler (I think: all from memory BTW not Google!), and harding was also a commentator on current affairs. A truculent and accerbic chap, rather like a turbocharged Robin Day in later years.

I also remember the guy who first captured my imagination and interest in cooking: Philip Harben, who was the original TV Chef, showing how to make a proper omelette with "A knob of butter the size of walnut and wait until you just see the blue smoke starting to rise."

[quote user="Gluestick"]

I also remember the guy who first captured my imagination and interest in cooking: Philip Harben, who was the original TV Chef, showing how to make a proper omelette with "A knob of butter the size of walnut and wait until you just see the blue smoke starting to rise."

[/quote]But he had the most disgusting sniff which was seriously off-putting.  I'm not sure I'd have wanted to eat anything he'd prepared.[+o(]

[quote user="Cat"]Perhaps you should ask the forum owners, Archant, who provide and fund the forum? [/quote]

Fund ! rather a stretch of imagination since the software is available for free?

Bottomline is Archant, are in business, and rightly or wrongly only allow what is profitable for them, end of !

[quote user="tj"]

[quote user="Cat"]Perhaps you should ask the forum owners, Archant, who provide and fund the forum? [/quote]

Fund ! rather a stretch of imagination since the software is available for free?

[/quote]Archant apart, is this true?  Another forum I'm on has had to fundraise like mad to find £3000 to pay for a new server etc.  It's an honest question, because the impression I got was that this is not the case, particularly if it's a busy forum. 

I have no doubt that Archant appreciates the commercial value of the forum, but surely it's not actually free to run, although in marketing terms it may well pay for itself publicity-wise?

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Gluestick"]

[/quote]But he had the most disgusting sniff which was seriously off-putting.  I'm not sure I'd have wanted to eat anything he'd prepared.[+o(][/quote]

Don't remember that, JE!

Still, I don't sniff whilst making my omelettes!

[:)]

Of course it isn't free to run Coops.  The software may be free, but the hardware (currently 8 servers here I think) certainly isn't. 

And then let's not forget the cost to Archant of those free glossy magazines that we mods sold our souls for [:$]

Hi

The software is available free, it needs a hosting server of course,( no big deal, cheap enough, server space is for nothing nowadays) I guess any costs would be in setting it up in the format you want, colour schemes, the different forum sections etc.

but negligable cost to run, moderaters are normally volunteers, or software can moderate posts, so runs itself

but in defense of the moderaters, I guess technically Archant is responsible at law for anything published in the forum, so all you who have been slurred call your lawyers :)

[quote user="tj"]

Bottomline is Archant, are in business, and rightly or wrongly only allow what is profitable for them, end of !

[/quote]

Everyone has the rather quaint concept that the internet is free.

Archant, no doubt, host this site via their own servers and gateway, as an adjunct to their other commercial operations.

They then have to contract to a telco for sufficient bandwidth to carry all web apps and sites.

Furthermore, I doubt their tech support does it for love!

Whilst Public Interest fora can be hosted on a free basis, they are compelled, normally, to host via the web operator's gateways: the URLs are thus clunky and such sites carry ads which are hugely annoying.

Advanced forum software is far from free: I'm presently in process of publishing a group of forum sites which are all commercial.

There's lots of forum software out there: most of it poorly coded and inflexible. The good stuff costs, believe me!

[quote user="Christine Animal"]
Yes, we are very well balanced. Krusty do you still have the same tele for Coronation Street?
Mmmm Sweet 17, all that lovely old food.  My mother used to make delicious bread pudding, just right after the mushy peas (and they were still warm Krusty, thanks).
No ketchup, just malt vinegar for me.
[/quote]

You don't get verbal thanks from the silent majority folks!

Something to make you feel better, pop into the kitchen, cook up some soul, kick back and enjoy [8-|]

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LDb934azoXo

NEVER TRUST A THIN CHEF [;-)]