CORREZE

Will be visiting the Correze area of Limousin in September for the first time and seeking information about lovely rural areas to stay.

Can anybody recommend to me their favourite RURAL areas in Correze?

Is there much differnece between the West and East of the Department as the East looks much more remote and wooded. Is that so?

Thanks.

Hello Davey and welcome to the forum.  It is very strange that you have not had a response. 

Is Correze in Limousin?  I think I have stayed there on one occasion.  It was very peaceful, very green and quite rainy.  There was also lots of cows and fishing lakes and many pretty little stone villages dotted about.  Have you carried out much research on the area.

That's right, it is coming back to me [:)].  We stayed in Nexon, a real lovely small town.  If you have kids in tow, you can take them to futuroscope and make sure you stay until the end to watch the lazer show.  It starts with the Titanic emerging from below the lake and ends with Fred and Ginger tap dancing and kicking water about.

I think we stayed in this area when we took an easy day trip to Oradour sur Glane a village left standing in the same state since the end of the War.  There is a thread running on it at the moment.

Best advice I can give you is to stay away from Limoges.

[quote user="Just Katie"]

That's right, it is coming back to me [:)].  We stayed in Nexon, a real lovely small town.  If you have kids in tow, you can take them to futuroscope and make sure you stay until the end to watch the lazer show.  It starts with the Titanic emerging from below the lake and ends with Fred and Ginger tap dancing and kicking water about.

I think we stayed in this area when we took an easy day trip to Oradour sur Glane a village left standing in the same state since the end of the War.  There is a thread running on it at the moment.

Best advice I can give you is to stay away from Limoges.

[/quote]

Thanks Katie for all your suggestions.

Judging by the lack of response, the Correze seems to be the place to go...few ex pats and some glorious unspoilt countryside which is what I am seeking.

Errrr........ Sorry to correct JK, but Limoges is in the Haute Vienne, along with Nexon & Oradour-sur-Glane (although its in the Limousin along with the Correze)

Futuroscope is in Poitiers, about 100miles NW of Limoges

The Correze is further east from Limoges and the main towns are Corrèze, Egletons, Tulle and Brive-la-Gaillarde

See http://www.fullersofgavinton.btinternet.co.uk/ManzagolPages/LimousinRegionMaps.html for some more info

Oh, the old quater of Limoges around the cathedral is very picturesque [:)]

Other places to visit around that area are Collonges la Rouge and Salers. Both of them worth a trip. Otherwise just bimble on the back roads, they're lovely. Another place to find is (are) the Tours de Merle.

Steve

Tandem,

Thanks kindly for the info and link to more info.

I see that you are partly from Milton Keynes! Before mistakenly moving to Cyprus, I lived in Sherington, near Newport Pagnell. Just thought you would like that useless tit bit!

Linda& Richard and Grumpy,

Music to my ears what you have said! I was waiting for someone to confirm the beauty of the Correze Countryside which is just what I'm looking for. My first visit in  the autumn and already, I feel as if the area is waiting for me. Thanks

We live in South Correze near the Cantal border between Bort Les Orgues and Ussel.  We describe it as a cross between the Lake District and Scotland but much prettier and warmer although probably just as wet. The countryside is absoulutely stunning and the villages extremely beautiful. We have travelled to other areas of france but for us this is the place to be. Yes there are few ex-pats, shopping can be a nightmare as there are only a couple of large towns and these are up to an hour away, and it is very, very quiet. There are no busses, the nearest airport is an hour and a half away, and there is no direct train route to Paris. This said we wouldn't change it for the world.

Oops - only just stumbled across this.  As you have probably gathered, we live in the Correze, and have done for the last 18 months or so.  We are in the hills between Tulle and Argentat, and it is very rural, green, hilly and peaceful (apart from the French Airforce playing games occasionally).  It's probably not the place to be with kids as they will just be, well, bored.  You have to appreciate the landscape and the countryside to appreciate Correze.

There are plenty of places to visit - Collonge sur Rouge and Rocamadour spring to mind, but what I like most is the peace and tranquility, though if you have to get around, the roads are good and relatively quiet.

We are up high, so appreciate the views, and above all, big skies and the variety in the weather.

Good place to be, I think.

This is my first post here, and just wanted to say regarding the kids being bored, I think it depends a lot on the kids, and what they're used to.  My brother and I grew up in Devon, in the middle of Exmoor.  No buses, and our parents were too busy to drive us around.  There were fields with hedges, woods, rivers, and we had bikes.  We were definitely never bored!!