Serious topics.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Well, I guess if a "chairman" is now a "chair", regardless of their sex, then those who operate punkahs - of whatever sex - are just that : punkahs.

But as Dick can actually spell this, I think he should edjudicate really (or is it ejudicate?)

[/quote]

Ejudicate - what a brilliant coining!

This little claret is nice I must say.

Dinner was a turkey leg (they're cheap), on a bed of onions and garlic soaked in olive oil and balsamic. The leg was dosed with cumin and curry powder which went down into the onions, and under its skin a couple of cloves of garlic sliced fine. Turn the leg several times during the roasting.

One of the reasons maybe that there are more 'silly' posts at the moment, is that there has been a substantive decline in new posters moving to France and asking for associated advice, not on just this forum, but others such as TF. Not surprising really,with the credit cruch, strong euro and current depressed state of the UK housing market.

One must take issue with the idea that there has been an increase in so called 'silly posts'. There is no evidence of this as far as I can see; And what constitutes a silly post? The inability to do research, asking questions that have been asked a thousand times... the list is endless. 

And your silly post is my pleasure for example.

This debate started because one poster objectied to two or three posts. That does not make a summer as the swallow said. No, I think that there has been a decrease in inane posts, an increase perhaps in laughter because the summer is here and people are more relaxed and because really serious issues like the health insurance problem, are few and far between at the moment.

[quote user="Sprogster"]One of the reasons maybe that there are more 'silly' posts at the moment, is that there has been a substantive decline in new posters moving to France and asking for associated advice,[/quote]

When there were substantive discussions to be had, some  people reacted badly to those who held views opposing their own - whether I agreed on a particular issue or not, TeamedUp and Saligobay added value to the discussions; both were, of course, also able to be light-hearted. I feel capable of distinguishing between the two without others' censorship.

Too much navel gazing going on around here for me, I'm afraid.

Pouyade

Unfortunately (for some) it is the people who have been around in France (or on forums, or both) for some time who more often than not are able to provide answers to new posters' questions. Some of these people, such as Chris, SD and a few others, are happy to answer questions and bow out, and from my observation don't indulge in too much of the banter that goes on.

OTOH, there are many people who post on here (and other French-interest forums) who've been around the block a few times and can supply useful information, but who are past the stage of needing to ask very much themselves. If they don't come here to ask questions, they do come to chat, have a laugh and swap stories. If they can't come here and do that, then they don't really need to come here at all. If they don't come here at all, then the benefit of their knowledge and experience will be lost. Of course, no-one is irreplaceable, but it really isn't possible to make a forum into something it isn't. That's been tried, and failed, elsewhere.Only rarely are flippant or off-topic posts posted with any sort of malicious intent. In the real world, we all know of people who are serious most of the time, and others who treat life and much of what goes on around them as a joke.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the world is a far, far duller place without humour. Even serious topics are more interesting if there is room in the discussion for some degree of humour or levity. True, there is no need for personal insults, but if there's no place on a forum for humour, then there's no place for me.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]If they don't come here to ask questions, they do come to chat, have a laugh and swap stories. [/quote]

Hear hear, Betty, I have had many a chuckle at some of the postings - sets me up for the day or sends me smiling to my pit.   Have to confess, some of us have got a bit out of practice with the old banter - typing speeds not up to scratch.  By the time I come up with what I think is a really great comment.....too late, the conversation has moved on.....tant pis....

[quote user="Callie"][quote user="You can call me Betty"]If they don't come here to ask questions, they do come to chat, have a laugh and swap stories. [/quote]

Hear hear, Betty, I have had many a chuckle at some of the postings - sets me up for the day or sends me smiling to my pit.   Have to confess, some of us have got a bit out of practice with the old banter - typing speeds not up to scratch.  By the time I come up with what I think is a really great comment.....too late, the conversation has moved on.....tant pis....
[/quote]

I have similar problems Callie though with me it's my brain speed rather than typing speed, I'm definitely slow with the quick replies.

I was amused by the following comment and wasn't sure if it was deliberate (as usual I'm several pages late responding)

[quote user="Catalpa"]

The thread on pea shortages proved to be of continuing importance to many mambas of CompleteFrance and reports continue to come in - most recently from the Vaucluse - of peas being unavailable from supermarket freezers across the country. It's a worry. [;-)]
[/quote]

and apologies to Chris if I've taken this further off topic.

Edit: Just seen some of Catalpa's other posts and suspect it was deliberate.[:)]

First a plea to Chris not to give up popping in to answer questions, identify plants etc.

I'm what you could call a serious minded poster too, but enjoy the banter and offtopic diversions, even though I don't often join in. Like Callie, I keep missing the boat., thinking of apt comments too late.

So although the action on here is perhaps getting less, it's still entertaining and informative.

As one who has had a lighthearted contribution to the thread in question summarily removed, I'd like to say this:

Chris, I read and enjoy your posts (and answers) in this forum, and others, but having read through the archives, you do seem prone to throw your toys out of the pram for really rather silly reasons.  No-one, I'm sure, doubts your expertise, least of all me, and I have more often than not benefited from what you have to say.  However, we can't all sit and wait while you decide what you are going to write - you may not contribute at all to a particular thread.  But if you do, then EVERYONE takes notice of your informed contribution, wherever in that thread you may appear.

I'm not going to apologise for injecting a sense of fun into a forum that you inhabit, because I thought my post was in the spirit of the way that particular thread was progressing. But I will unreservedly apologise if by my posting, your feelings have been hurt - that was never my intention.

I like to think that I am a responsible contributor to the CompleteFrance suite of forums, and have contributed in many cases, with and without banter, and I, too, have no patience with the continual stupidity that is often displayed in postings.

So, friends again?

Chris