Plague of flies !!

In the last week we have been plagued with house flies, there are hundreds of the little b****rs in the house and we are spraying constantly, putting up sticky fly papers, electric repellents, etc. but as soon as you open the door another hundred come in.  Now I had wondered if there was some dead creature around, but they are not bluebottles, and there is nothing that I can see that attracts them.  We are in the Lot and Garonne and some local people have said it is "the fly season" (!!!), some have said that the flies lay eggs in the loft and warm weather brings them out.  I have rung a company who say the best thing is to fumigate the house and kill any remaining eggs, and I have also ordered a couple of Red Top fly traps in the garden which apparently trap the females and hold up to 20,000 flies.

So I am keeping them at bay but I remember that last year, when we arrived in the September after two months away, we had opened the door to our house to find thousands of dead flies on the floor in just two rooms, and we had wondered what it was.  So could it be that there is a "season" for flies?  By the way, the flies are mostly mating with each other so one swat with a whacky stick often takes out two at a time, or three perverts!!

Anyone else plagued by flies, or found a really effective remedy?  Will fumigation work?

Yes it's nothing to worry about, the flies will soon be gone just as soon as the air gets a little colder and the mice move in for some winter warmth.  Funnily enough I don't mind the mice, it's the owl scratching about in the roof space that keeps me awake.

[quote user="nectarine"]

ha ha, I thought you'd say that .... but of course the box of scraps is in our garage across the yard (surprisingly clear of flies) and the flies are in the house.  So is this a seasonal thing or what .

[/quote]

They are just having a little get together to welcome you to France [:)]

We had the same thing but within a few days of moving in.Found they were living in,t walls so sprayed some Xylophene treatment outside around the exposed rafters and fumigated the rooms affected with a smoke type bomb.We had to shovel up the varmints for a few days!We no longer have clouds of them on the external walls in the sunshine,and only the odd one inside.    Maude

Sounds like the horrid Cluster Fly invasion  we had.   OH bought some stuff from the agri as recommended by the chap behind the counter and sprayed the entire grenier liberally (this was before we moved in).   The floor was crispy with the revolting things for days afterwards but it resolved the problem easily and effectively.   We still get a few occasionally largely because we live amidst lots of farmland and Cluster Flies live in the grass, but then these come in through the open windows of doors - they aren't residents now.

Have you a septic tank in your garden?

We had a problem with flies and just as a thought I checked out the main cover and found that there was a gap around it. I'll not tell you what I found underneath but suffice to say I ran some sealant around the rim before putting the cover back on. Still getting flies of course - but a lot less.

Fly paper also works but looks disgusting!

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

I only have two flies in the house at the moment - they sit on my arms/hands and watch me using my laptop.  One of them even chases the mouse around the screen.

I haven't the heart to zap them...

[/quote]

Didn't realise you were such a softie, SD!

I am merciless when it comes to flies and I wield a mean swatter.  Still, I hope it's nice, quick and painless for the flies and, of course, it's bloodless murder for me.

Now killing rats, that's a different matter altogether and I'm not too happy about doing that.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

I only have two flies in the house at the moment - they sit on my arms/hands and watch me using my laptop.  One of them even chases the mouse around the screen.

[/quote]

they sit on my arms/hands and watch me using my laptop - while they s**t - what a lovely picture. Gross ! [+o(][+o(] 

[quote user="Russethouse"][quote user="Sunday Driver"]

[/quote]

they sit on my arms/hands and watch me using my laptop - while they s**t - what a lovely picture. Gross ! [+o(][+o(] 

[/quote]

So that's what it is, I thought rather a lot of pixels had died!  [:D]

We'd heard much of the supposed proliferation of flies in France and it was something we were concerned about before moving but I have to say that so far, a year on, we haven't really had much more of a problem than we'd typically expect in a warm UK summer, and some of that might be down to no more than having the doors and windows open more here.

We have one of THESE and it can be quite fun zapping them if they irritate me.

TIP: Can also be used to keep small children in line [6]

Probably an urban myth but I've heard it said that the explorer Dr Livingstone had a tattoo of a spiders web on his head to keep flies and other insects away. Considering that scalp hair and I have very little in common now it might be a tactic worth investigating if they did get too annoying [:D]

Love the Executioer ErnieY,

As to fly paper, a couple of years ago, we locked up the house in after our holiday and returned to the UK, came back for Halloween and found a dead bat attached to the fly paper! Really crispy, so must have been there some time. That convinced me the fly paper stuff really works! Never has a problem with flies though.

We don't know where the bat came from though as the house was sealed and we have never seen them in the grenier.

I always thought Australia had the patent on flies but this country really takes the cake. From what I have learn't if you live in/near agricultural land you are done for; when the local grape growers start spraying their damn vines here out come all the f****** flies. And why do they all make for the house - why do they fly in but not OUT ??

I sit with a can of fly spray these days. And one other thing - it is impossible to buy a can of fly spray here locally before June, the supermarkets do not stock them. And the grapegrowers here start spraying their toxic chemicals around the vineyards in April - which is when we all get tummy upsets, eye infections and sore throats without fail.

I've had a gutful of the countryside - give me back the city with it's smog, traffic and nightlife anyday.

Fly papers make me gag[+o(]

thanks for helpful suggestions and it seems we're not the only ones around here with a fly problem.  I bought a Red Top flybag on Ebay which is supposed to be the bee's knees in killing the things.  It's a big bag that you hang outside the tree, fill with some powder and water and it contains pheronom ...phenoreo.....oh rats I give up, the smelly stuff that male flies exude when they are feeling randy!  Hence all the female flies are attracted to this bag, enter and drown, together with the billions of eggs that they are carrying which would hatch next year.

So far it is hanging on a tree and has a couple of dozen flies, but nothing like the 20,000 that the advertisement claims it will catch!!

I contacted a local pest extermination company who advertised to kill insects, and a chap came and sprayed some stuff around the doors and windows which will stay on for two months, and if a fly walks on it then it dies in about 20 minutes.  Seems to work, so far, and the problem is considerably reduced.

The fly papers are disgusting but effective, although I HATE having them in the kitchen .... just puts me off cooking and eating, but obviously that is where the little sods are congregating.

Any other good suggestions to get rid of flies ?

What really makes the fly situation worse though?  I moved from the Vienne last year where I found the fly problem was hideous and nothing short of fly screens at every window would keep them at bay.  I now live in the Charente still in the countryside, still with agriculture on my doorstep, neighbour has sheep (as before), still have a lake but hardly a fly to be seen.  Hornets come bumbling in from time to time but I can sit all day doors open and maybe get the odd one in, I can eat on the terrace and not see one.  So why am I lucky now and not before?