We're moving to France tomorrow !!!

I don't really know why I am posting this, probably just to vent my feelings of excitement and sheer panic tha tI feel at the moment.  After weeks of packing (our UK house is like the Tardis, you open a cupboard and think "hmmm, two boxes should do it" and five boxes later you are no nearer emptying it), the house is squashed full of boxes, there's packing tape in my hair and I can't find my slippers ..... but the removal men are coming tomorrow to completely empty the house and take it to our new home!!!  And then we have to leave and drive quite fast to overtake them en route and get there to let them in ...

Anyway, I'm excited.  It's the culmination of our dream.  We had a holiday home for ten years so feel we are 'comfortable' with French ways and the language.  Various dissatisfactions with living in an urban sprawl just outside London have given us the gentle push we needed to make the big move to our new house. 

Well, France here we come !!  Wish us luck !!!!!

All the best from me and I'm sure we all know those confused emotions of child like excitement mixed with blind panic and terror !

Compared to Clair and Coops and some others I'm a complete newcomer so those feelings are not quite so far behind me but you'll soon get wrapped with settling in and and forget about the negatives. I won't even mention boxes, we did our own move piecemeal and what we anticiparted would be 4 or 5 trips with a big trailer turned into nearer double that !

If you've been coming here for several years and speak the lingo though you have an enormous head start on many [;-)]

Good luck [B] 

thank you so much for encouraging words ..... one moment I am jumping up and down with excitement and the other I am whimpering and quietly shrieking "aaagggh,, eeeeekk, yikes"       Guess you all know the feeling.

Re. boxes, hmmm.  We packed ourselves, well it saved a few hundred pounds which will be better spent of me resting in a secluded padded cell somewhere nice and quiet in the country when all this is over.  As 'de-cluttering' is not a word that exists in my husband's vocabulary, a large amount of boxes comprise oily tools and obscure vehicle parts that he found when we sorted out the garage.  I rather wish I had quietly whisked them away to the dump but, as he discovered them (including a petrol tank for a motorcycle that he hasn't owned for 30 years), he ooh-ed and aah-ed with delight as he alighted upon these hidden treasures and insisted that they be packed and taken to France.  "Ooooh that will come in handy" he exclaimed, as he found a Haynes manual for a Ford Sierra (we have never owned a Ford Sierra, nor plan to ...), "let's keep that just in case we ever buy one".  Hence about 10% of the stuff we are taking is useful, another 10% is ornamental and the remaining 80% is junk .... yes I can see these boxes remaining piled up in years to come!

[quote user="nectarine"]...and the remaining 80% is junk .... yes I can see these boxes remaining piled up in years to come![/quote]

...or until your first vide grenier. [:P]

Good luck, Nectarine. May your move go swimmingly. Not that I'm suggesting the ferry will sink...[:-))][:D]

Your OH sounds uncannily like me, the exception being that we have actually owned a Sierra [:'(] [:D]

Mind you, 'er indoors is not so much better. She has a collection of something like 60 cups and mugs of various sizes and descriptions, and that's not counting the dozen or so which actually live in the kitchen and get used !

We moved from what we'd always believed to be a modest 2 bed country cottage with a double garage which we now know to have secretly been Dr. Who's spare tardis [:D]

• 2 weeks later...

well we got here just fine, the removal lorry arrived and unloaded ... and unloaded....and unloaded yet more!!  The two spare bedrooms are full of boxes, you need climbing shoes and a set of crampons to get over the boxes and into the bed, the garage is packed, there are more boxes tripping you up in the hall .... in short, we are hemmed in !!

Our removal men said (as they groaned and huffed with yet another box of Mr. Nectarine's garage tools),that all of their clients, without exception, would utter the classic phrase "what on earth did we bring this for?".  It only took two minutes for Mr. Nectarine to watch them staggering under the weight of a rarely used exercise bench to say "why on earth did we bring this to France?" at which point the removal men cheered, presumably having won some kind of bet!

There is one box, however, that I am particularly looking forward to finding!!!  When the removal men arrived in England, I hadn't finished packing and they were taking boxes as quickly as I was filling them.  I had an open box in the kitchen, for rubbish, into which I was throwing kitchen scraps, plate scrapings, half empty pots of yoghurt, eggs past their sell by date, that kind of thing.  And then I turned away, and when I looked again it was gone .... onto the removal van.  And now it has spent five days in a baking hot removal van, and now it is somewhere in our baking hot garage waiting to be found and unpacked ..... oh joy, I cannot wait.

[quote user="nectarine"]

well we got here just fine, the removal lorry arrived and unloaded ... and unloaded....and unloaded yet more!!  The two spare bedrooms are full of boxes, you need climbing shoes and a set of crampons to get over the boxes and into the bed, the garage is packed, there are more boxes tripping you up in the hall .... in short, we are hemmed in !!

[/quote]

But I see you mountaineered enough to find the computer.  Got your priorities right I see !!!!!!

Welcome to France... glad you made it in one peice! [:D]  I was going to add may all your problems be little ones but after reading your post about the flies I'm not sure that's the most appropriate thing to say [:$] so instead I hope you have no problems at all settling in!!! [kiss] [kiss] [8-)]

how did it go Nectarine? Where are those boxes now? I bet you won;t have time to reply to tell us how you are settling down. some of us are still trying to sell our houses in the UK .... so wish us luck. At least you got there, hopefully!

By the way, do you know the Southern French word for nectarine?  Un brugnon.  Salutations

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="krusty"]if you are like us some of those boxes will be unpacked months latter. [B][/quote]Make that years.[:-))][/quote] [:D]

I have moved so often, I seem to have lived out of boxes all my life.  Just done a bit more unpacking today.

Best of luck Nectarine.  Although it is exciting, I found it very weepy too but it only lasted about 2 days.  Then came "Oh shit, I hope I have made the right descision"[:'(].  Now I feel I could never look back.  But they say never say never.

wish us luck - my dad has just gone into an old peoples home (aged 96 next week) - so we have to empty his house (cellar, attic, and all, and he is a hoarder!), and possibly move from UK to Franche-Comte at the same time. Fortunately we have a huge empty barn there to store things!